AlexSolo
Theme and block quirkiness, help me fix it.
  • 2007/5/7 12:21

• AlexSolo

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/3/8 1

I am using the latest XOOPS install with the exnews theme and have noticed some quirkiness when generating blocks for the left column only. It seems that past a certain point on the left column the type size enlarges and does not match the CSS parameters past the 5th block, yet if the block is moved to the right column it conforms to the CSS just fine. It does not matter what order the blocks are placed. It does not matter what module (if any) generates the block. Where to look for the fix? Is this a theme problem, a template problem or something else entirely?

skenow
Re: Theme and block quirkiness, help me fix it.
  • 2007/5/7 12:29

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

I'd start by making sure your theme html validates. From what you describe, you are probably missing a closing tag for a table or div.

(Lots of errors when trying to validate)

AlexSolo
  • 2007/5/7 16:26

• AlexSolo

• Not too shy to talk

What tool do you recommend for validation. Just looking at the code doesn't do anything for me. I've tried bbedit, GoLive. I'm on a mac at home. Tried running their validation and I get a lot of end tags missing "<br> mostly" ( never thought it needed an end tag but then I see a few <br /> not </br> thrown in the code. Not everywhere but enough to confuse me.

snow77
  • 2007/5/7 16:57

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

You can try HTML Tidy extension for Firefox
http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/

<br /> is the appropiate way, yet a well done theme/template doesn't have any br's.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

AlexSolo
  • 2007/5/7 17:09

• AlexSolo

• Not too shy to talk

OK, anyone got the time and talent to fix the exnews template?
What may take others minutes to do will take me hours. The package is located in the database here. I thought It may have been the little bit of code I added recently for some banner placement but I re-installed the original index.html (did not touch the CSS) and the same thing happened.

snow77
  • 2007/5/7 17:19

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

it's real messy, if I have enough time I'll see if I can do something to it later and upgrade it to use the new extra block positions.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

AlexSolo
  • 2007/5/7 18:23

• AlexSolo

• Not too shy to talk

Well, I got the validator for firefox and ran it. It said no errors but 106 warnings.

Thanks Snow77, I'd appreciate your help if you get the time.

Oh, yea, one more thing. How would one make the center columns wider thereby making the whole site wider? I like the look a lot but feel the theme is a little narrow.

I'm also working on my own theme. My first! Will be done with it soon (based off of someone elses coding, i just replaced the images for a totally new look). Helping me figure things out. I will be sure to give him credit for the original design! I'm trying not to be just a taker.

AlexSolo
  • 2007/5/7 18:37

• AlexSolo

• Not too shy to talk

Well, well someone up there must love me. I fixed it for the time being.
The problem stemmed from creating a "custom block" and the information I cut and pasted into it. Seems that it over-rid any font attributes for ANY blocks that followed it, not only it's own block. Once I edited the <font size=?> tag to the correct size, everything fell into place.

Still I feel it shouldn't have affected half the left column.

snow77
  • 2007/5/7 18:44

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

that's good you discovered the font thing. The theme is still real messy html and I have already started cleaning it up.

You did notice that the center blocks have strange positions?

center block left= creates a second narrow column next to the left column.

center block right= is a top center center block in the main middle content section where module content appears.

center block center= is a bottom center block below module content on the main middle section.

there are 6 not 3 block options now.

I'll leave the 3 center bottoms in a normal way. The top center blocks. I'll lay them out so they create that extra column next to the left one so the theme keeps looking the same as it does now.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

AlexSolo
  • 2007/5/7 18:53

• AlexSolo

• Not too shy to talk

Your right! As a matter of fact I gave up using anything other than center block for all my information. Just couldn't get rightcenter and leftcenter to work right.
Can you post this so everyone will have access to the new theme?

Just took a look at your link to your stuff..OOH your good!

Login

Who's Online

154 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 154

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits