mjz55
Cannot get gallery 2.1 to work
  • 2007/5/1 11:29

• mjz55

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2007/1/18

Fromhttp://xoopsgallery.org/. I don't understand the read me. Very confusing. I'm running XOOPS 2.0.16. I uploaded it, and installed from XOOPS admin ok.

I also get this notice when opening module from registered user or admin: the parameters for xoopsgallery2 have not been completed. Please complete before tring again.
thanks.

I also cannot complete any of the following: Export admin to the image gallery here. Export All XOOPS users to the image gallery here. Export All XOOPS groups to the image gallery here. Remove inactive users from the image gallery here show a link to remove XOOPS group to gallery2.

There def. is something I'm missing.

mboyden
Re: Cannot get gallery 2.1 to work
  • 2007/5/1 13:45

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

Yeah, I was excited about this prospect, too, because Gallery is an excellent php application for image management and I've set it up for other sites that don't use XOOPS. Unfortunatly, the authentication system isn't integrated with XOOPS either and I blow off modules that don't integrate with the XOOPS authentication system. It seems to me that when I installed it on a development server, I ran into other problems as well and quickly abandoned it (and the very long and involved and confusing installation instructions). The XOOPSgallery developers could maybe take a lesson from Fluke and his xosCommerce module which is a well-integrated port of osCommerce into XOOPS (for XOOPS 2.2.x, although I am about to release a re-work of the well-done SmartProfile module which allows xosCommerce to work with XOOPS 2.0.x).

I went with xcGallery after looking at the ones I could find here. xcGallery which is a port of the Coppermine Gallery, now worked on by two different authors, is pretty good overall, has watermarking and anti-leeching (to a degree, still needs more on that because paths are exposed), slideshows, etc., etc. It's a little clunky. I'm currently doing an implementation for another client site and will release what I have back to the community. I've tried touching base with the author but have yet to hear back from them.

I'd be happy to share my current setup with you, but it's still a work in progress.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

mjz55
  • 2007/5/1 13:56

• mjz55

• Quite a regular

What I was looking for that I know gallery does is, I can assign a member to have rights to a folder, instead of a group. Does your do that? I hope I explained it right.

mboyden
  • 2007/5/1 14:28

• mboyden

Ahhhhh. Short answer is no, if I understand the question right. You can assign permission to site-wide albums for viewing and user contribution rights. Given permission, users can also create and share private albums, too. Users may contribute single or multiple files. And there is a batch upload feature (that requires FTP access to the server).

There is definitely still some work to do on this module, upload rights, etc. But with a little work, you can likely make it work for you.

xcGallery allows users the following:
- upload photos to Administrator-created, site-wide Albums, with or without Admin approval (you set)
- Create, modify, and delete user Albums (myAlbums) (Admins can set whether this is allowed or not)
- Keep private or share user Albums by user group (of course Admins will have to create the groups)
- upload single files
- upload 4 files (probably modifiable fairly easily, but haven't yet addressed this)
- batch upload (although there are issues with this preventing me from allowing average users to do this)

You might also check out xsGallery (the new XOOPS Simple Gallery) or MyAlbum (from GIJoe) which has some great features too but still is in continual beta release. I'm trying to remember why I didn't go with MyAlbum, but after trying these all out (didn't try RM+ since I tend to focus on supported modules), I ended up going with xcGallery. I know I was going to try and use myAlbum because of it's image manager and thumbnail capability to integrate with content manager (SmartSection is my favorite overall), but I ended up figuring out how to use FCKeditor and it's image manager. I still would like an embedded thumbnail manager ala what is provided in Joomla's thumbnailer (inserts auto thumbnails with popup images).
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

mjz55
  • 2007/5/1 15:15

• mjz55

• Quite a regular

Ok, thanks. I know a guy who can install gallery into my site for $20. He did it before to another site I have. He just don't have the time right now for a few weeks. I guess I'll just wait. Looks like gallery is the only one that will do that.

mboyden
  • 2007/5/1 15:41

• mboyden

When you say got it installed by this person for $20, was the authentication integrated with XOOPS authentication/permissions system? If so, then maybe I need to spend more time at it. $20 is probably a heck of a deal for doing this. I've looked across this site for information related to that, because if I could get Gallery (XOOPSgallery) installed and working with XOOPS authentication, then I think that is the path to go because it's the best php-based photo album app IMHO.

mjz55
  • 2007/5/1 16:05

• mjz55

• Quite a regular

yes, it seems to work fine. Have no problems. Using permissions too. I tried to see what he did, I didn't see anything and I'm not experienced enough to know what to really look for. I couldn't figure it out.

mjz55
  • 2007/5/4 3:53

• mjz55

• Quite a regular

Did you have any luck? This is the correct link to the module:http://xoopsgallery.org/

Buggy
  • 2007/5/4 9:36

• Buggy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/2 1

Gallery 2.1 doesn't work when "safe_mode=on"! Check you server settings before you play around with it.

mjz55
  • 2007/5/4 11:15

• mjz55

• Quite a regular

I searched but couldn't find safe mode in Xoops. Where is it?

Login

Who's Online

189 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 189

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits