snow77
Re: is it time for a lead project manager?
  • 2007/4/21 13:27

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

quoting Marco ref #103
Quote:
the add-ons subsite was quite finished at mid january, but some, too perfecionnists, dreamed about a better one that needed some module dev for that.

@Marco, with the respect I have you, I must say I disagree that addons was ever close to be finished in that time, the site had the information unorganized, texts missing, texts that needed reviewing and texts to be added, it had no homepage and it had to be given a structure. But let's not argue about this now ok. We need to start working as a team and not be individualistic.

@Carnuke, you are blaming the core developers because the FAQ or the News or the Docs or the Forum don't look right?
quoting Carnuke ref #105
Quote:
Gradually the developers see that there is a need for documentation, Organisation, communication of updates, news, file downloads, etc, etc. In effect all this extra stuff is nothing to do with the codebase or the concept; it's the needs of the greater community...
They continue with coding and developing the project and try their danrdest to throw out some help files, run a forum, make archives available and generally run the whole show...
Soon the cries of documentation, Organisation, communication and forum participation have angry overtones of disappointment from the community. Great software, but where is our support? we need you, we want you, you have an obligation to us.

Doesn't seem like it to me, the problem is that hardly anyone wants to take the time to think, and plan something and propose a working objective of value to the community.

If we think in XOOPS as of countries in a globe, and we see it as 3 countries; Core (Australia), Foundation (Europe), Community (NorthAmerica). What's the method Australia or Europe use to work as a society have to do with North America?

Community needs teams? Then let the community build them on their own.
So where is this discussion leading to ? Why isn't any proposing a work plan for the community?

I repeat for the 3rd time same thing I have been posting in other posts I've done in this same thread:

As I see it, looking at the community site, it's up to the people how they want it to be. Team work, coordination and planning the solution. The community is responsible of making it possible and is responsible of the results, since it seems to me that when something goes wrong the wrong person is being blamed.

and I agree with Herko's approach:
ref #97
Quote:
That is why I propose a self-organising community. Let the core devs deal with code development and decision making methods common in open source development. Let the Foundation take care of corporate communications and product promotion, which ever way the project evolves. And let the support community organise itself, without an all-overseeing body of people responsible.

And seems you all have identified problem by now, so no need to ramble on about the same another 20 pages, cause nothing will ever change if we don't start working to make the change possible and fill in the gaps.

Herko's view of what a leadership is close to how I think it could work well, when/if the team working groups are ever formed. ref #101
Quote:
There doesn't need to be a leader that will allow you to do anything. If theres a need for coordination, this can be done by the people actually doing it. And then they can be held accountable by their peers for failing to do so. Why make someone else responsible for that, when it *should* be placed at the source?

Like I siad before, if this is about leadership, it should be about everyone becoming a leader and taking responsibility. Not delegating the responsibility to someone else, without giving them the tools to actually do the work. Why make someone responsible for everyone else's failure to think about the consequences and coordinate their efforts?

True openness means everone is a leader and responsible, and accountable by his or her peers. Isn't that what open source is all about? Freedom to express yourself?

A meritocratic team work formation could be an appropiate next step.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

JMorris
  • 2007/4/21 13:44

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I didn't want to reactivate my account, but I'm seeing a snowball effect here that is jeopardizing the future of XOOPS.

I am begging every single person in this thread and who wishes to contribute to this open project, from skalpa all the way to the newest member wishing to contribute their code, PLEASE go listen to this lecture...

How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People (And You Can Too)

then PLEASE go read this book...

Producing Open Source Software - How to Run a Successful Free Software Project

The people who have been "running" this project have stepped up and said that the way things are and have been are not working. Let us all be wise and go learn from those who have successfully built OSS Projects.

I had to acknowledge that I'm a "Poison Person". If many of you are honest with yourselves, you are too.

Let's stop being "Poison People" and let's learn how to build a successful OSS Project.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

davidl2
  • 2007/4/21 14:08

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Seems interesting reading.. will have a look later on - thanks James.

Marco
  • 2007/4/21 15:15

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

@snow
Dont' lie. Let's talk about truth :

Quote:

I must say I disagree that addons was ever close to be finished in that time

Sorry to deny you. Yes, it was quite finished, the hardest was made (templates), only texts were (and here) the last things to be improved and structured.
About the home page, don't lie or modify the truth. We were alltogether thinking about some ideas. Your idea needs a specific module. Mine was to open more quickly. Did you have time to make it? Instead of waiting, would be better to be once a little bit pragmatic : do make what you have time and skills to, and do improve things after opening. Addons could have been opened for ages. Facts deny your option : 3 months after, the subsite is still not opened to community.
Sorry for being a little bit more pragmatic, and more community needs oriented.

Quote:
We need to start working as a team and not be individualistic.

Who called for every day for comments and help? me
Who deleted carnuke and Dave_L rights? skalpa, and you,rowd and the others did not say much after the master decision. I think canuke and dave_l could have access like others, working with us, beacause i think they did much more than you and me, it's meritocracy. That's why i quit the "team".
And now you're calling for team ?
facts again deny your affirmation.

marco
Do synergy or die.

snow77
  • 2007/4/21 15:53

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

Marco, I was just giving my perspective and at that moment it was an incomplete site and the texts weren't reviewed, the navigation of content was still unclear. I'm not the webmaster of that site so I'm not the one responsable of finishing it right now. I am not a lier either.

You are talking about things that happened at the management site, and m.x.o is dead now. For the last couple of weeks I've only been using it to keep notes of the demo structure cause I haven't created yet a more adequate place to keep track of the procedure. MXO started on the wrong foot. It was supposed to create roadmaps and then after open them publicly, so ALL could participate openly. There are no roadmaps, there is no one there now to make them either. Yes Dave_L and Carnuke can have had done good contributions, but if that were the case it would mean the opening of MXO to the whole community because there are a thousand other users that can also make good contributions. My function there was to contribute with sharing the structure of the demo site and I participated in all the other areas seeing that there was help needed everyhwere. MXO method didn't work. So does that mean we can't look beyond this and give something else another try?

So, yes, I think a meritocratic team work formation could be an appropiate next step. And have each area responsable of their own way of managing things (Core, Foundation, Community).

We want things done openly and transparently after all don't we?

Direct action can't be taken over something, even what may seem to you the smallest change, WITHOUT a plan or conceptual framework. That's what building sites is about. First you make a plan, then you ask everyone to contribute.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

Marco
  • 2007/4/22 20:32

• Marco

• Home away from home

well, i repeat my post : why not making a XOOPS manifest.
how we want a core dev team to be
how we want the contribution of community to be
how we want communication in our community to be
i think carnuke post is a good start.
comments about that idea?
marco

NB : first of all, is there still any core dev team?
Do synergy or die.

davidl2
  • 2007/4/22 20:42

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Yes - there is a core dev team, as has been answerred previously.

Main members are Rowd, Skalpa and Phppp.

This has all been answered recently in other posts - so theres no real need to re-ask this.

It has also been answered that work is being made on a new release to bridge both 2.0 and 2.2 branches.

Marco
  • 2007/4/22 20:45

• Marco

• Home away from home

Quote:

Yes - there is a core dev team, as has been answerred previously.

Main members are Rowd, Skalpa and Phppp.

that's strange,they did not post anything about a roadmap. is there any?
Do synergy or die.

davidl2
  • 2007/4/22 20:46

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

In due course - but the first priority is the next release.

Marco
  • 2007/4/22 20:59

• Marco

• Home away from home

well, i repeat my post : why not making a XOOPS manifest.

- how we want a core dev team to be / to act
- how we want the contribution of community to be
- how we want communication in our community to be
- what's opensource for us
- is XOOPS driven by a community and what's its role
- what's team work for us
- what are local support communities for us
- who owns xoops

i think carnuke post is a good start.
comments about that idea?
marco
Do synergy or die.

Login

Who's Online

215 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 215

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits