tmreg
XOOPS backend makeover
  • 2007/4/14 2:23

• tmreg

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/7/20

I have no idea if this is the place to post this but...

I have used XOOPS for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. Once they get started with it, the people I am making sites for love it too. However, it is extremely hard to sell going to a system that aesthetically looks inferior to Joomla or other CMSs. People are not impressed with the default theme and backend of the system.

I decided to play with it a little and see how long it would take to adjust the backend and make it a little "prettier" and hopefully easier to get buy in from the end users. It took all of 3 hours and I ended up with something that is (to the untrained eye) on par with the other CMSs as far as cool graphics. For some people, if it looks cool, it is cool.

I know the graphics in the backend don't matter but XOOPS is not doing itself any favors by neglecting it. I don't think it would take an extraordinary effort to change it either.

Just my 2 cents.

Here is a screenshot, by the way. SCREENSHOT

**UPDATE**
the hack is available in the downloads section of my site here:
http://xoops.mattregister.com
-Matt

Chappy
Re: XOOPS backend makeover
  • 2007/4/14 2:32

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

Very nice, tmreg! That would be an improvement!
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

davidl2
  • 2007/4/14 8:35

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

It is rather nicely done.

I do recall something similar done a while ago as well? (Although I do like the appearance of this one?)

Would you be willing to make your changes available?

I believe - from what I've seen - that future XOOPS versions will certainly have som considerable appearances in the backend... including some sort of themeing function ... so finally we can get rid of that annoying hover menu

davidl2
  • 2007/4/14 8:47

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

dannie
  • 2007/4/14 11:07

• dannie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/10

Awesome!!! It's about time someone did something with that boring admin. I hoped. I dreamed. And finally my dream has come true. Good job!!!

tmreg
  • 2007/4/14 13:21

• tmreg

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/7/20

Sure, I will make it available. I will need to work on it first and get it back to something people can use on their site.

Does anyone have a PSD or layered PNG of the XOOPS Logo or know where I can get my hands on it?

If one of the administrators can tell me where to send it when it is done I would appreciate it.
-Matt

davidl2
  • 2007/4/14 13:25

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Hmmm - good question ... does this count as a hack or a theme?

Anyway - until the new repository is done, the best thing is if you can host this yourself - but we'll have that sorted as soon as we can*

(* Please don't ask... the answer is as soon as possible )

vaughan
  • 2007/4/14 13:37

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
Hmmm - good question ... does this count as a hack or a theme?

because 2.0.16 doesn't have an admin theme as standard, and that editing of core files is required, it should be classed as a hack (especially since updating XOOPS would overwrite the admin theme) so although it is an actual theme based hack, it still has to be classed as a hack i'm afraid.

but all in all well done and i do like what you have achieved :) roll on 2.3 when the admin itself will be easily themeable :)

Bender
  • 2007/4/14 16:09

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
And here it is

Well there was one more

https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3516

which even went a bit further.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

tzvook
  • 2007/4/14 17:45

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Quote:

Bender wrote:
Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
And here it is

Well there was one more

https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3516

which even went a bit further.

Yes, Indeed, I had installed it on my dev server when it got out and was very impresed (which I sadly say, is a feeling that I didn't felt about XOOPS for a long time now, though it's still the best CMS in my eyes).

Very polished and well thought of, but what does it's worth if it's not official and will be hard to get upgraded.
This staff may do some good to the 2.16 old fassion aufull funny dhtml navigation that havn/t changed a lot since the 1.3 branches.

If you ask me - the auther should be invited to be the official XOOPS admin designer, with this look he won it far out !!!
the changes are not just @ the main admin page, but far more ...

Login

Who's Online

214 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 214

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits