cybergirl111
trouble changing the permissions of the mainfile.php

I was wondering if someone could please explain to me how to rectify the following problem. After I finished installing XOOPS the following message came up upon clicking on site administrator:

WARNING: File C:/wamp/www/xoops/mainfile.php is writeable by the server.
Please change the permission of this file for security reasons.
in Unix (444), in Win32 (read-only)

I read in the forums that the way to change it was to go to the ftp manager and do a couple of seemingly simple steps. the issue is that I am not really sure how to follow them. I am using wamp5 so i downloaded an ftp manager only it isnt that simple and im not sure what to do once its open.

If someone could please outline how i could rectify this problem it would be greatly appriciated.

irmtfan
Re: trouble changing the permissions of the mainfile.php
  • 2007/3/26 4:50

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

read this FAQ to change permissions manually by using a php script

cybergirl111

Thank-you so much for your response. I had acutally read that faq and it is where I ran into the problems.

If you could answer the following questions I had it would be fantastic.

1. When i upload the file into the root of the XOOPS site, does that mean I am putting it into the www folder?

2. Which ftp client would you recommend? also, in that ftp client is it easy to check the permissions?

I had downloaded an ftp client but couldnt at all figure out how to use it. if someone could give a recommendation on an easy one to use and a few simple tips on what to do with it, it would be much appriciated.

irmtfan
  • 2007/3/26 5:23

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

1- upload it in your XOOPS root means it should be beside mainfile.php
2- if you are a FF user i suggest fireftp extension
smartftp is good too. also there are some related topic for "choosing ftp software" here in this forum just do some search about

Anonymous
  • 2007/3/26 7:12

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
cybergirl111 wrote:

2. Which ftp client would you recommend? also, in that ftp client is it easy to check the permissions?

I use (an heartily recommend) CuteFTP.

It's very easy to check file permissions with most FTP software. In CuteFTP you just right-click on the file and select "CHMOD" from the menu.

Peekay
  • 2007/3/26 9:18

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

To resolve the issue on your local PC, in Windows Explorer open the www/xoops folder, right-click 'mainfile.php', select 'properties' and tick the 'read-only' checkbox.

If you upload the site to a UNIX/Linux server, you will need to change the file permission to read-only again using an FTP application.

I use Filezilla on the PC. It's free and seems pretty reliable.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Herko
  • 2007/3/26 9:27

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I can recommend Filezilla too. It's also open source, which is even better then free

herko

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits