mighty_tuna
Mail Problems
  • 2007/3/19 21:15

• mighty_tuna

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/2/7 2

Hi,

I'm hosting my own webserver and running Xoops. The mail function isn't working on it however. I keep getting errors when ppl try to register, saying that the registration email failed to send. I've tried changing the settings to use my gmail account, but apparantly I haven't got the settings right to do this either.

I'd really like to be able to just use PHP mail and not have to set up my own smtp server on my server machine, but I don't know what's necessary to make this work.

Thoughts, directions, ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

JMorris
Re: Mail Problems
  • 2007/3/19 23:13

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Google (Gmail) uses SSL and non-standard ports for SMTP/POP3 access. Since XOOPS does not give you an option to change the port values you will use to connect to the Gmail servers, SMTPAuth will not work.

If PHPMail isn't working for you, then you have a few options...

1. Sign up for another mail services that uses SMTP on standard ports. (This is less secure, but will work.)
2. If your server is a Linux/BSD box, simply use sendmail as the mail transfer option. This works quite well and is quite reliable.
3. If you are running a Windows server, you can still use sendmail. This Google Search turns up several Windows sendmail options.
4. You can hack the XOOPS mailer class to use secure ports on Google.

HTH.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Login

Who's Online

147 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 147

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits