oldenough
HELP - I have been abused by a hacker/spammer!!!
  • 2007/3/2 6:03

• oldenough

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/11

One or several fu*kheads have recently abused our system to send spam mails. I recieved some tons of mail error messages from a non-existent mail address on our system.

I am using Captcha on our Liaise module, and this module are set to send mail to one of our adresses only.

The only module I suspect been unsecure regarding terror attacks like this might be the "Tip A Friend" option in the Weblinks module. I have disabled the whole module now (with hundreds of links not beeing accessible any more) and I have not got any more mail messages.

Anyone with similar experiences? Does this sound like a reasonable explanation? What can I do with this module in order to not have this vulnability - how to make it impossible to send more than one mail from "Tip a Friend" in the weblinks? Or might it be other explanations??

Yes, I have installed protector.
Yes, I would love to break the neck on the **ckheads!

Using: XOOPS 2.0.16
Weblinks 1.0
Frameworks installed

davidl2
Re: HELP - I have been abused by a hacker/spammer!!!
  • 2007/3/2 9:01

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

There was an issue reported by Subzero (from Xoopsdesign) with Weblinks. I have contacted the author over this, but I still have not received a reply.

There is, however, a new release of 1.31 ... so you may want to see if this deals with your problem. Please let me know if it does.

(Dont forget to backup etc etc)

oldenough
  • 2007/3/2 10:51

• oldenough

• Just popping in

I am still in a mess, spam mail in return are flooding my inbox!

My only option now was to close down the site!

Weblinks were removed from public display, then the spammhackfuc**rs must have used some other vulnerability on the system, I don't have any clue what it might be.

Anyone with any advice what to do then? Should i relave XOOPS as a platform and go for something else??

davidl2
  • 2007/3/2 11:55

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

First thing: Don't Panic!

Second thing: Can you PM me the site URL so I can see if theres any other module that may be an issue?

oldenough
  • 2007/3/3 8:25

• oldenough

• Just popping in

Finally it all has been sorted out, after som serious digging. Some f**khead were using a fake email address and pretending using us a sender. This was not the case, hwever, but we set up a catch all at the server, and then recieved all returning error messages from those the spammer had mailed.
So our XOOPS are safe and now even safer.
And spammers? Well, I hope they all vanish into a deep hole. In all cases they have contributed in the blacklisting on our domain in a lot of places.

InnoSense
  • 2007/3/3 11:21

• InnoSense

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/10/2

Tip: use WF-Links instead of Weblinks.

Login

Who's Online

231 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 231

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits