GXCori
How to Switch back to Xoops
  • 2007/2/15 20:16

• GXCori

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/2/15

Hi all,

I have had a dev using my site as a test bed for new modules etc for the past 3+ years. He's had to move on to other projects which leaves me at a loss. I am not sure if XOOPS modules are completely compatible with my site, but would like to switch the entire thing back XOOPS at it's core so that I can at least continue to update and change my site if needed.

I've learned how to do somethings myself but some of the things needing done are extremely advanced. My knowledge is not, lol.

I'd love some help and in exchange feel free to take any code you see there that you'd like to keep.

Thanks in advance,
C

davidl2
Re: How to Switch back to Xoops
  • 2007/2/15 20:53

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I've sent you a PM over this.

Regards

davidl2
  • 2007/2/15 21:45

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

I spoke briefly to GXCori - and suggested (as well as a backup, of course) perhaps testing a local install of the site using XAMPP.... and also then testing for compatibility with XOOPS 2.0.13.2

The developer who was working on the site was Catzwolf - who as you know had been working on his own Xoops-inspired system - CodePlus. As such, the above site may well include a hybrid of Codeplus & XOOPS code....

I would guess, however, that any XOOPS code would be closer to pre-2.0.13.2 releases.

If anyone can offer other suggestions, please reply here or contact GXCori.

davidl2
  • 2007/2/17 0:52

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

re-bumping post....

Any additional thoughts on this problem anyone?

skenow
  • 2007/2/17 2:08

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

If it were me....

1. Local install of XAMPP and XOOPS 2.0.13.2 (if that is the base version reported in admin area)
2. Download and install original versions of modules on hosted site - wfsection, wfdownloads, xcgal, news, newbb/cbb, wflinks, xoopspoll
3. Identify modules that are 'custom' - wfrealty
4. Backup DB on hosted site, import to local install - watch for any errors, especially on core tables
5. Test local site core functions and 'standard' modules
6. If all is well - test custom modules (download and install from hosted site). Start looking for replacements.
7. If it's a total mess - consider a fresh start, or contracting with someone to migrate (start with some Xoopers with commercial sites)

Hope you can get back on track!

davidl2
  • 2007/2/17 2:26

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Some good suggestions there

skenow
  • 2007/2/17 2:32

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

I think rather than try to identify everything that may have changed or been hacked, start with a clean install.

There are a lot of files and a lot of db tables and fields to compare - too much work and too frustrating to take that approach. Start with where you want to end up - official releases of everything possible.

JMorris
  • 2007/2/21 2:04

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

GXCori,

First and foremost, my condolences on the situation you are currently in. It is a shame that you have been put in such a position and the dev who put you there should at least help you migrate back to a supported platform. It is disgraceful how they left you high and dry with no support.

Steve has made some very good suggestions, and quite honestly, it is the same approach I would use. Given your unfortunate situation, there isn't an "easy button" for you to push.

I spent some time looking over your site this evening and what has come to mind is that you would be best to start from scratch and migrate your content, as already suggested.

There are 3 basic approaches you can take to get this job done, but unfortunately, none of them are fast and easy.

1. If you have the funds to cover a professional migration, hire a pro and get it done right. Just taking a brief look, you could expect to pay in the range of a few thousand to cover all the bases. You could probably get by with a basic migration for under $1,000 USD, but this would not address the issues that are affecting SEO and usability.

2. Build traffic to your site so that you are receiving enough traffic so that you can offer premium Ad placement to a Dev to migrate your site back to a supported platform. Not many Devs will go for an "Ad Placement" agreement, but there are a few who will in certain circumstances.

3. Educate yourself and perform the migration yourself, with the assistance of the community. In many ways, this is the preferred method because, not only will you learn more about how your site runs and how to administer it, but you will also be well equipped to help others who are migrating from other platforms.

Again, I'm sincerely bothered and saddened that someone who started out as a contributor to XOOPS has left you in such a bad situation. Please don't let this bad experience taint your view of XOOPS as a whole. We genuinely care about our users and will do what we can to help you through this tough time.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

MadFish
  • 2007/2/21 2:32

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Gxcori, would it be possible for you to post the database structure for the modules you think are hacked? Then we can compare to the current versions and see how different they are.

I have a feeling your main problem will be WF-sections, as I remember John was trialling it on your site so you may have a 'unique' version, plus whatever WF-realty is.

But you might have more luck with things like WF-downloads.

Chappy
  • 2007/2/21 4:31

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

About three years ago, I was running phpwebsite. I found XOOPS and switched. Basically, I used phpmyadmin to cut and paste from the phpwebsite MySQL structure to the XOOPS structure. It was long and painstaking but I still have many of those articles today (some of them, admittedly, still with some slightly screwed up structure). It did work and I didn't spend a dime on changing it. As has already been said in some of the very wise advice you have gotten, a lot of it has to do with what you feel you are able to do, what you can afford, and the time resources you have. It isn't easy - it can be done, though. As I looked at your site, I think there is enough the same module-wise that the transition shouldn't be that hard - just tedious. It will require some familiarity with phpmyadmin and mysql. Otherwise, I think it should be doable. As was already mentioned, a critical part in making your choice should be to examine the database structure in mysql. If the the databases are fairly similar in structure, you may be in pretty good shape.
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

Login

Who's Online

243 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 243

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits