Cuidiu
Lost Password Feature
  • 2006/12/22 22:03

• Cuidiu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/4/23

Hello all,

A registered member used the lost password feature and was sent both emails correctly. The problem was, the password was not changed in the database. It still had the old password. Here's what happened.

The member forwarded to me the original email containing the new password information after trying to log in unsuccessfully several times (silly me, I previously suggested she copy and paste the username and password into the appropriate fields). When I tried it, it didn't work for me either. Since several of these members were added manually, I tried the original password I'd used to add her with. That worked and I got in.

I checked the timestamp on the email she received the new password in and thought maybe the server had a glitch, or maybe I was backing up the data at that very moment but it doesn't look like it. Our backups last mere seconds. They're really fast because the database is not very big.

I've never had this problem. If the lost password feature doesn't work - it's usually due to the member's ISP rejecting email from the site's mail server. That I can understand. But to send out a new password and yet it remains unchanged in the database is a new one and I must say, bugged me more than a little. Has anyone had this problem and is there any way to troubleshoot it?

Thanks in advance!
C
[size=x-small]Working sites:
XOOPS 2.0.16 PHP 5.2.2, MySQL 5.0.24a-standard-log, Apache/2.0.54 (Unix)
XOOPS 2.2.4, PHP 4.3.10, MySQL 3.23.58, Apache/1.3.33 (Unix)[/size]

Bender
Re: Lost Password Feature
  • 2006/12/22 22:14

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Hmmm ...

use a test account. Switch on debugging(sql) for your site and see if you get any errors when you request a new password in that mode?
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Cuidiu
Re: Lost Password Feature
  • 2006/12/22 23:13

• Cuidiu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/4/23

Nothing seemed to happen with the debug while changing the password. And the new password saved with no problem. In my original post, I meant to say optimize the database, not back up - but both procedures are very quick. I think I must have been optimizing the database at the same time as the password was requested. Perhaps that's why the changes were not written...?
Quote:

Bender wrote:
Hmmm ...

use a test account. Switch on debugging(sql) for your site and see if you get any errors when you request a new password in that mode?
[size=x-small]Working sites:
XOOPS 2.0.16 PHP 5.2.2, MySQL 5.0.24a-standard-log, Apache/2.0.54 (Unix)
XOOPS 2.2.4, PHP 4.3.10, MySQL 3.23.58, Apache/1.3.33 (Unix)[/size]

Login

Who's Online

104 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 104

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits