Question of RSS Feeds and Lawyers??
  • 2006/12/1 20:40

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Quote:
Twiztid Re: SS-yahoonews
DON'T USE THIS MODULE.

I got a cease and desist letter from YAHOO's Lawyer's to remove this module from my web site or face legal action.

This module pretty much hijacks the news stories and copywritten AP images and displays them on your web site.

It's not very hard for Yahoo to find out who's using this module.

Take it from me, it's not worth the risk.

I am seriously concerned if they did do this, as that would virtually nullify RSS feed's...
So yahoo can't do that? or can they?

Is it just me or isn't that module just a version of RSS feeds or does it do more?

wizanda
Re: Question of RSS Feeds and Lawyers??
  • 2006/12/1 20:47

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

To me it does look like just RSS? so infact how can Yahoo on the one hand say that here is our RSS; then when your site ranks above their own...no you can't have it any more?

Sorry still find this very hard to believe?

gestroud
Re: Question of RSS Feeds and Lawyers??
  • 2006/12/1 20:59

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

I don't think that Yahoo's decision necessarily nullifies RSS feeds. The thing with Yahoo, Google and a couple of other syndicators is that they have pretty clear usage guidlines about their RSS feeds. They are basically for personal and non-commercial use.

The good news is that there are plenty of other RSS providers, and you aren't relegated to only using Yahoo feeds with the module. You could use RSS feeds from

Big News Network

Topix Net

About.com

The New York Times

and a few other news sources that are basically begging people to syndicate their headlines.

You may not get all the pretty pictures that Yahoo rendered, but you don't have to worry about lawsuits, either.

Login

Who's Online

154 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 154

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits