aod
Your XOOPS site may not show your intended meta keywords fo the Search Engines!!!
  • 2003/1/9 6:52

• aod

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/15

Quote:
Search Engine View
Take a look at how your site looks to the search engines. Some search engines use meta tags to catalog your site. Some search engines use the meta tags to display the listing of your site. Here‘s your chance to see how your site looks to the search engines. If you want search engines to be steered away from your site you can by following the guidelines on the side panel.

I can't believe this! But most XOOPS sites does not output the supposed meta keywords for Search Engines!

Check how your site fare!

meme
Re: Your XOOPS site may not show your intended meta keywords fo the Search Engines!!!
  • 2003/1/9 7:46

• meme

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/12/10

yes because the XOOPS view the meta tag like this
<meta name='keywords' content='balah,balah,balah'/>
it must be like this
<meta name="keywords" content="balah,balah,balah"/>

we need a fix with out using meta tag modules plz

aod
Re: Your XOOPS site may not show your intended meta keywords fo the Search Engines!!!
  • 2003/1/9 18:26

• aod

• Just popping in

Yep. Should be double quotes, not single quotes. So how do we fix that? Anyone? This is very important...

Jan304
  • 2003/1/9 18:34

• Jan304

• Official Support Member

• Since: 2002/3/31

1. Doesn't matter, just the prog that you test doesn't support the single quotes.
2. If you where right, it doesn't matter because most modern good search engines doesn't use the keywords anymore (for example Google)

meme
  • 2003/1/9 20:11

• meme

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/12/10

you should use Meta-Generator module i have install it today and now every thing is ok

Aine
  • 2003/1/10 16:13

• Aine

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/7/10

I worked around this problem by installing XOOPS into its own directory, allowing me to have a static front (entry) page to my site. On the static entry page, my meta keywords tag is correct. Search engines usually hit that first.

harkov
  • 2003/1/10 16:57

• harkov

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/10/7

if you're concerned about this...

there are a few things you 'could' do...what i did was just put some meta lines into my default theme's themeheader function:

from theme.php in the bluely directory (as that's my default theme:

function themeheader($show_rblock){
 global $xoopsConfig, $xoopsTheme;
?>
 <META name="description" content="Open Source Development for the CMS and XOOPS community!'">
 <META name="keywords" content="linksys, linksys logger, logger, xoops, time tracker, ...">
<?php

echo "</head><body>n";

if you check www.bcollar.org on that site you listed, you'll see my keywords show up. you could do this in a host of other places as well, like in the functions.php file, and actually change the XOOPS meta tags to do it this way instead, i just chose the theme.php cause i didn't want to change anything in the main XOOPS files..

but like others have said, keywords aren't really used by the major search engines, google has it's own ranking system which is based off of the content in your site, not your meta tags.

- Harkov

aod
  • 2003/1/10 23:29

• aod

• Just popping in

Nevermind. I hardcoded it in /include/functions.php and just escaped double quotes. I also added a few more meta tags that suit me.

w4z004
  • 2003/1/11 4:27

• w4z004

• XOOPS Advisor

• Since: 2001/12/13

The XOOPS 2.0 have this feature working 100%

file2mail
  • 2004/5/30 2:33

• file2mail

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/23

Quote:

w4z004 wrote:
The XOOPS 2.0 have this feature working 100%
No it doesnt, not 100%, in 2.0.6, the meta description in still not working on my site...

...it seems the keywords are working, so that had been fixed... but the meta description doesnt seem to work with themes that deal with theme.php files.

Login

Who's Online

227 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 227

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits