adwin
Req: Module Installation Using Zip
  • 2006/10/17 5:09

• adwin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/27

I would like to suggest to use Zip as convinience format for module installation. User just need to upload a zip file into module directory. While the user install the module, the zipped module will be extracted.

But when then user upload the same module (for update), the module will be extracted and replaced.

what do you think ?

I think this could be easy for some of admin, they do not need ftp software to upload the module. And it is pretty simple... just upload one file and then extract it.

Thx

adwin
www.adwin.org

frankblack
Re: Req: Module Installation Using Zip
  • 2006/10/17 6:04

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/6/13

Nice idea and almost implemented in the upcoming tinyeditor 2.0 RC1 (including ftp). In this module you are able to upload plugins and language files WITHIN the module without external ftp program.

Easy to do for environments with safe_mode = off. When safe_mode = on you'll need PHP-ftp-commands to do this.

adwin
  • 2006/10/17 9:11

• adwin

• Just popping in

I got this idea from websitebaker (www.websitebaker.org), they did the installation using zip file. The format of the document is almost same with Xoops. Is this function (upload and decompressing file) already implemented on the next XOOPS ?

I also find that to upload file one by one is not convinience for me, since sometimes I got disconnected and I have to resume the upload again (my connection is pretty bad lol) and my access to the ftp is blocked (blocked on the port by my administrator)

fyi, XOOPS has already upload function (from the xoopsform) so we just need to implemented module to unzip and installation
www.adwin.org

frankblack
  • 2006/10/17 11:30

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/6/13

Quote:
Is this function (upload and decompressing file) already implemented on the next XOOPS ?

I read nothing about this yet.

Of course - as I said before - that it would be "quite" easy to make a hack to implement the unzip-feature, BUT - as already mentioned - you cannot use this on safe_mode = on environments. I learned that more and more hosters are going to set this to on for security reasons and therefore you need the ftp functions of php.

If this is not right, please correct me, because I am keen on knowing how to bypass safe_mode MORE easily.

mcleines
  • 2006/10/17 12:44

• mcleines

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/7

Here some information about PHP6:

http://www.php.net/~derick/meeting-notes.html#safe-mode

Quote:
Issue: safe_mode is a feature in PHP that checks whether files to be opened or included have the same GID/UID as the starting script. This can cause many problems, for example if an application generates a cache file, it will do this with the user ID that belongs to the web server (usually "nobody"). As an application is usually uploaded by the user belonging to the web account (say "client") the scripts can no longer open the files that the application. The same problems happen when for example an application generates an image.

Discussion: As safe_mode is a name that gives the wrong signals as making PHP safe, we all agreed that we should remove this function. It can never be made totally safe as there will always be ways to circumvent safe_mode through libraries. This kind of functionality also better belongs in the web server or other security scheme. open_basedir is a feature that we will keep, and we will point users to this functionality in the error message that is thrown when we detect this setting on start-up.

Conclusions:

1. We remove the safe_mode feature from PHP.
2. We throw an E_CORE_ERROR when starting PHP and when we detect the safe_mode setting.

davidl2
  • 2006/10/17 12:49

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Can you submit this as a feature request at the XOOPS Sourceforge site?

Thanks

adwin
  • 2006/10/18 4:17

• adwin

• Just popping in

I did post it on sf.net :)
www.adwin.org

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits