wizanda
Extra fields in user profiles on xoops.org?
  • 2006/10/1 10:14

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

You know how on here... we have to ask people for certain details to find out the problem, do you think it would help us all to add fields for web design subjects in each profile?

Like do you have exsperince in cetain things, then when you come to explain, you can check before starting if they know what you are likely to be talking about and also would act as a way when we are seeking advice, seeing who is most exsperinced in any of the fields asked for? ie php programmers and html, cgi, asap, c++ and many other weird codes

Also if these where in the profile then as people learn relative exsperince, say they understand XOOPS theme development as they learn, then they could tick that box?

So we all know a bit more of whom and where people are in the XOOPS education playgroundn as I have done and presume everyone else is and in diffrent level of exsperince depending??
Yet not knowing this each time you post makes it hard to know how detailed or not to be...

Just an idea to stream line XOOPS at bit more for our admin? and future projects together...

m0nty
Re: Extra fields in user profiles on xoops.org?
  • 2006/10/1 12:11

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

wouldn't be feasible i don't think..

people don't always fill in their profiles anyway, and they certainly wouldn't fill in every question asked.. it's just 30 seconds too long for most people to answer so many questions in their busy schedules (bit like the asking/reporting problems without searching 1st). making them compulsory questions on registration maybe an idea, but then a lot of people would just fill it up with rubbish in order to get thru the registration process quickly..

how many people actually read the pinned topics and notices that say to search the forum and FAQ's before posting your problems etc.. either they don't read it at all or they choose to ignore it..

davidl2
  • 2006/10/1 12:33

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Unfortunately some people are basically lazy when it comes to filling in information.

wizanda
  • 2006/10/1 12:49

• wizanda

• Home away from home

True, yet saying this is easier said then done even for me also, i have a near photographic memory and yesterday went searching for a post to help someone i remembered from like 2 years ago could I find it? nope i gave up after about 10 mins...

So really them points are that the whole system needs changing with the information, we have now to modifiy and make it cleaner to begin with, knowning what we know now...like wiki for instance of the whole XOOPS information would help us loads as half the info is here just needs organizing.

Yet as you said with the people filling it all in to begin withe the profile, i doubt they would on sign up...
Yet after when people realized that it is a used feature here; as on many forums and sites were members are active and you have profiles like it as a feature that would be used...when needed and so after the first couple of replys being asked where the info was they would fill it in to present them selfs and not see it as a task; yet as way to express them selfs more clearly...

davidl2
  • 2006/10/1 13:03

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I have a photographic memory... it's just never been developed.

(Sorry bad joke!)

Some good points there Wizanda....

wizanda
  • 2006/10/1 13:21

• wizanda

• Home away from home

it's not really...
The best memory expert says it is practise and i would agree, the more you try the more it increases...
No matter what age; as i just tried with my 83 year old grandad getting him to quote his war stories brought more back for him and even younger...

Yet what that expert says is make a storyline with pictures like a book, same applies with Xoops, needs to be ABC not A? oh z! ;-D

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 1

Guests: 159

vamptrix,

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!