Bassman
Site goes down randomly every day - ideas?
  • 2006/9/8 4:21

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

My site bassmanthemes.com seems to go down for various lengths of time every day for no apparent reason - I just get a page not found error. Now, I would normally blame this on the host/server, but I know it's not an issue with the server being down because I own the reseller hosting and other sites on the same server are up at the same time.

I believe it could be a DNS issue, but how do I fix it?

Will_H
Re: Site goes down randomly every day - ideas?
  • 2006/9/8 4:44

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

Have you attempted a dns cleanup through whm?

Check this out. Recently I was experiencing the same issues with a 2.0.15 install. Every page was producing upwards of 70 queries. which in turned cause 10second page loads, and often page absences.

so anyway 70+queries x users = one hell of a db load.

After investigating this it turns out that a module that I had removed failed to delete the block entries in the sql. So this phantom block which did not actually exist was pounding my db.

This has occured with many a module, and after digging through my sql and killing off all those phantoms everything is operating fantastically.

Possibly a bug in the un-installer? maybe just a fluke. IDK, just hope it helps.

Bassman
  • 2006/9/8 4:51

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

thanks for that. I think i may have fixed the problem :)

Knallkopp
  • 2006/9/8 11:01

• Knallkopp

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/2 1

Hello Biteronboard and Bassmann,

i think, i have got the same problems with 2.0.14. after updating from 2.0.13.2 my site is verry slow, and there are many querries.

Where can i found these phantom blocks in DB?

Thanks for help

Greetz Knallkopp

Will_H
  • 2006/9/8 13:08

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

Every module makes injections into your database.

In most cases it will be

prefix_module

Typically after uninstalling a module this entire entry will be deleted.

In this case it would not have been. So all you have to do is drop it.

!!!!!!!Important!!!!!!!!

A little common sence is required here, dont delete tables like prefix_users, if your module made an injectiion into this table you will need to explore it and remove just that entry.

!!!!!!!Always back up your db before you f with it!!!!!!!

jensclas

I am having this issues and it is way over my head... I'd appreciate a little one on one time to get me through checking this as a possible cause/solution if anyone has the time. See this background:

Quote:
error #2 is that my site intermittently won't connect. Using Cpanel I created a subdomain and within that domain i installed XOOPS with its own table using fantastico. It seems that since then (but could have been happening before because I wasn't especially active on my domain before doing this) one minute i can access nothing, minutes later I might get any one of the subdomain, the domain site, cpanel, ftp connection and web host site...and then someteimes I get one and not the other and each time it I get a page not found error - (can't resolve host name in ftp) even if I am connected to one of the 3 areas domain, subdomain or cpanel...or with my ftp...its really strange- and the host hasn't come up with an answer...yet. This problem did however exist before I started installing modules

Will_H
  • 2006/9/9 2:52

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

wow.....

Thats definitely does not sound related to this, as you had not installed (let alone uninstalled) any modules.

This really does sound like a hosting issue.

The fact that you are experiencing issues connecting via ftp pretty much declares this in my book.

Not sure what kinda hosting plan you are using, but I have to say thathttp://www.servint.net is the BEST host I have ever had. That is if you are interested in a VPS+.

I know this may seem off topic, and more of a plug than a suggestion. Just seems that your host is the one with the problem here Jen.

jensclas

Hey thanks Biter...I have thought 'host' problem for more than a week -(I won't go into why here) and am shopping around. Got about 5 earmaked so far for serious consideration. (been right through that forum of recomended hosts!) will check yours..I just needed the confirmation that this is likely a host issue...

McNaz
  • 2006/9/9 21:40

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Hi Jen.

I second Biteronboard on this one. Whenever my XOOPS sites go slugy or stop responding sure enough it is the server being overloaded. The symptoms you describe point to an overloaded/oversubscribed server.

I'd send off an email to you host and inform them of the slow downs.

Hope it improves.

Login

Who's Online

170 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 170

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits