Norne
Admin area menu
  • 2006/8/28 16:34

• Norne

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/8 1

I have been trying to remove that stupid pop-up / floating menu in the admin area, but I can't seem to find an option to turn it off or an explanation on how to remove it from the theme? It's difficult to make an effective search on this because it returns a lot of irrelevant posts (pretty common key words), but I'm sure somebody have asked about this before...

Why it's stupid? Well, it floats all over the screen, - very inconvenient when you have a lot of modules installed. But the really annoying part is that it shows a full menu to people with limited module admin permissions!

Is there another theme for the admin section that can be downloaded? (I'm new around here and I have a hard time trying to find my way aroud the block )

davidl2
Re: Admin area menu
  • 2006/8/28 20:09

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Bad news - at the moment it is needed for time to time, and can't be removed.

Good news - I think you'll not see it in 2.3 when released

davidl2
  • 2006/8/28 21:05

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

You could - of course - use this hack ... but remember to make a note of the change .. some modules may not display all options without the hover menu...

Norne
  • 2006/8/28 22:53

• Norne

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/8 1

Thanks! I've been trying to find a way to work around it by checking for modules or hacks to let editors edit from the front end, but I didn't have any luck...

The thing is that I have a few editors who are very afraid of "technical stuff" and they easily get confused. And that is not a good thing! They would rather not open the admin section at all if they can avoid it. They are terrified of doing something wrong in there, and honestly: I'm terrified too. It seems to be very difficult to limit their access to only useful actions.

They should have been able to edit/delete other people's articles in News, delete old files from WF Downloads (huge tiff-files) and myAlbum, add and edit categories, but they shouldn't be able to touch other functions.

The system module is very nice, - it shows only the "Find users", "Mail users" and "Edit user" as I intended. But with WF-Downloads it seems to be all or nothing, and it's the same with myAlbum. Or maybe I have defined the permissions wrong? I don't think so, but I might have... So I guess for now I'll have to keep the editors away from the admin section, because it's too complicated for them at this stage. Maybe later, when they have learnt how it all works.

This is my first project with XOOPS and I like it a lot. I have 6 live sites running Joomla, but that didn't quite do the trick here. So XOOPS it is! It's a very capable CMS. I miss the menu settings and the permission system in Joomla, though... I guess I want the best of both worlds. But I must say that I feel that I have a lot more control in Xoops, and I like that!

I have high expectations on the upcoming version. I know that developers never estimate release dates in public, but are we talking about weeks or months? (I guess that information is in here somewhere, but I havent seen it...)

Login

Who's Online

180 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 180

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits