maxima
Moderator addition problem
  • 2006/8/18 22:52

• maxima

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/3/4 4

I created a group called Editors and assigned some system admin rights including Blocks so they can add and edit blocks as neccessary

The problem is new blocks need to be assigned to various groups and since there is no means of assigning when creating the block, it must be done using the groups modification panel. At that point the moderator can also modify the group he belongs and add all the other system admin rights. Can this be blocked?

maxima
Re: Moderator addition problem
  • 2006/8/21 0:55

• maxima

• Not too shy to talk

So is it possible to give a moderater group permission yet block him from changing his own system admin permission?

jensclas

Quote:
At that point the moderator can also modify the group he belongs and add all the other system admin rights.

The only thing a moderator can access is whatever you give them permission to do. You should not let them have full system admin rights. You need to be selective in terms of which module admin rights you give them but don't give system admin rights - that would be like taking them to the level of webmasters.

Have a really close look at the permissions in your group settings and see what you have as a webmaster- webmasters are the only ones who should have access to everything. Then look at your created group and be very particular about what you tick for them. You can assign different levels of access to different groups of people - it happens here. As moderators we all have different levels of access for different reasons and what we don't have access to we simply flag attention to right people.

This is carefully managed and to a great degree relies on trust and responsibility. As a moderator on this forum that I do not have access to modify the groups I belong to and I certainly do not have full system admin rights (and don't want them ) This is as it should be...so look carefully at what boxes you tick for your 'editors' group. They won't have access to any new block till you give it to them unless you have given them full system admin rights - which is not a good idea. Just give them rights to the sections you want them to manage.

So...my advice...don't give them access to blocks...HTH

maxima
  • 2006/8/22 4:17

• maxima

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks for that guidance but I think you misunderstand my problem.

This group that I created called 'Editors' are supposed to add and remove custom page content using the 'Add new block' tool. Since this tool has no way of assigning the newly created content to particular groups, it has to be done via the 'Group' modification. If I as 'Webmaster' have to do the group assignment of the many new custom blocks created then it will defeat the purpose of having these people.

Are you saying that this has to be a trust system? There is no way to allow 'group' access to these guys yet block them from modifying the 'Webmaster' group? Surely that must be possible.

The real solution would be that when adding a custom block there should be check boxes displaying the group list then it could be assigned at that moment (like Newbb2)

Login

Who's Online

336 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 336

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits