deram
Why the change?
  • 2006/8/18 13:13

• deram

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/10

I really think it is a huge step back that there are no modules included in ..14

I am using fantastico to install it and I have before installed ..13 and that was nice and easy to set up with all the basic things included.

Now I have to do all the stuff with the modules.. Finding them... downloading them.. hopefully they are compatible... putting them in the right spot on my pc... then activating them one by one... before I can do it all over again for the next and the next...

When I downloaded a better forum for ...13 I often had trouble because I forgot to activate and what not in the various places (both in admin menu and with the "update_newbb_to...cbb_or whatever its called".

But I made it work in the end. Now I have many more chances to make errors.

I you are not that experienced with this there are so much room for error in all of this.

If my provider still had the ...13 version I definitely would have chosen that.

These days the aim has steadily been for more and more userfriendlyness, and I see this as a huge step back in that sense.

Is there ANY chance that ...14 will ever be as userfriendly to set up as former versions without all the hassle of downloading all the modules one by one?

Will_H
Re: Why the change?
  • 2006/8/18 13:17

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

I think we can all sympathize with ya on this one. Unfortuneatly sometimes to move forward we must first take a step back.

Some individuals have compiled module packs with the 2.0.14 install. I am sure you will se a link or two in the following posts.

Best of luck.

JamesSAEP
  • 2006/8/18 14:40

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/28

Quote:

Biteronboard wrote:
I think we can all sympathize with ya on this one. Unfortuneatly sometimes to move forward we must first take a step back.

Some individuals have compiled module packs with the 2.0.14 install. I am sure you will se a link or two in the following posts.

Best of luck.

One of the problems is that the modules are changing fairly fast these days. For the Core Team to not only work on pushing XOOPS forward in development and also try to stay on top of "included" modules in the Disto packages would be unreasnonalbe.

I had put together a package for 2.0.14 with the common modules I use. My goal is to keep this package up to date.

You can download it HERE

Peekay
  • 2006/8/18 15:19

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

@JamesSAEP
Congratulations on the module repository, particularly for mirroring the modules from xoopsforge. PHPPP's modules are great, but I have *never* managed to download a module successfully to date from that site!

Bookmarked.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

JamesSAEP
  • 2006/8/18 15:27

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

Thanks. I'm in the process of adding what I call the "Core Developers" (SmartFactory, XoopsForge, Herve-Thousard, Peak Japan - GIJOE) modules and hopefully will finish next week with the latest version. Then as time permits, I'll work back to the older ones.

Anyone one that wants to help keep it up to date would be welcomed.

davidl2
  • 2006/8/18 15:39

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Have you spoken to Blue Nova about helping with the official repository ... we may need another willing pair of hands for this when the revamped site goes live

Will_H
  • 2006/8/18 16:02

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

#OOPS# david why you gotta bring that up, talk about a tease.

davidl2
  • 2006/8/18 16:26

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

I've not helped too much i'm afraid - my being rather sick the last couple of weeks has delayed a little task I was doing

JamesSAEP
  • 2006/8/18 16:29

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

Biteronboard wrote:
#OOPS# david why you gotta bring that up, talk about a tease.

LOL!!!

If /when the "revamped" site goes, I'd be happy to assist.

davidl2
  • 2006/8/18 16:46

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

It's definately more of an "when" than an "if"

Login

Who's Online

133 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 133

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits