herojig
Urgently needed: Answers to Basic Design Questions about XOOPS templates
  • 2006/8/15 10:50

• herojig

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/15

Namaste all! My programmer pal is already coding a CMS using an XOOPS template for our organization (about 3000 members worldwide) and as the designer I have this burning question:

1) Assuming the standard behavior of all the php boards I have seen: user registers, logs in, fills out CP, etc. can an XOOPS template be modified so that there is another layer of authentification for the content within. For example, we are all here in this support forum right now, and user A has access to ALL the links to the left (Home, All About XOOPS, etc. but User B does not, User B does not have access to say "Download XOOPS."

Is that clear? This question has another layer. If user B wanted access to "Download XOOPS" is there a way to register user B to have access to that content, but the request is vetted by the moderator of that area first.

Does that make sense? Perhaps it goes something like this:
User requests registration and on the form checks the areas of content that they want access to. The automated main site registration-bot does its thing, but the requests for special content areas is sent to the appropriate moderator for that area. User is then notified when they have access, and Voila, the content area appears in the list. There would also have to be a way to request access later of course.

Well, I hope someone can shed some light on this important function that is needed, or we are sunk.

Thanks!
Jigs in Nepal

Quest
Re: Urgently needed: Answers to Basic Design Questions about XOOPS templates
  • 2006/8/15 12:02

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

I think that XOOPS is perfect for this sort of thing. And if you have a programmer your task should be simplified compare to others. XOOPS flexibility basically allows for you to modify and tweak many aspects for personal design and functionality.
Depending on which version of XOOPS you are running. I am no expert and there are way many others far more qualified to answer your question.

Xoops 2.0.14 comes with LDAP authentication support.
In the administration area of XOOPS you have by default three groups: Webmaster, Registered Users, and Anonymous. You can create/add other groups to suit your needs- like Moderators.
Each group can be granted specific permissions to Modules,Blocks, Admin for Moderators.
Additionally, some modules allow for configuration of who can do what as well.

If you haven't yet, take a look at the Documentation
Also, look around the Module Repository and the News Section for Modules. There may be a module available which helps to manage such particular permission access and registration functions you mention.

And Welcome!

Quest

Login

Who's Online

371 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 371

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits