metropolis
[XPress] blocks disappearing in 2.03 and 2.04 after module update
  • 2006/8/1 13:28

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/15

I know... I encounter strange bugs, but here is what happened:

I updated XPress 2.03 to 2.04 on one of my pages and after that I decided to add a block with the recent blog comments on my main page. But in the block administration I don't have such a block.

I went to one of my other sites that still run XPress 2.03 where I had that block. Now I simply did a module update in the admin section (though I did not upload XPress 2.04 on the server) and now also this recent blog comments-block is gone. I read something of "deprecated" in the update output.

Can it have anything to do with the fact that I use German language files instead of the original ones? That's the only change I did on the server with the XPress 2.03 installation.

I am totally confused...

metropolis
Re: [XPress] blocks disappearing in 2.03 and 2.04 after module update
  • 2006/8/2 10:48

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

No idea anybody?

davidl2
  • 2006/8/2 10:53

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Please can you add to the bug tracker here?

thanks

metropolis
  • 2006/8/2 14:43

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

I did now... but I am beginning to lose orientation.

The link you sent was for a "news" section of the tracker. There is also another forum and a real bugtracker.

I don't have the feeling anyone is looking into that forum, or the bugs page.

Remember my first post regarding the structure here at xoops.org? This is a good example that one can get absolutely lost in these depths.

phppp
  • 2006/8/2 15:16

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

what?
Do you think I should monitor your requests minute by minute even if I have so many modules to update?

I should not have responed here.
Again, the module project page is its right place.

metropolis
  • 2006/8/3 14:55

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

I am sorry - I didn't want to offend anybody, but don't you believe that the structure here is hard to understand?

I always thought that that module bugs should be reported in the module troubleshooting forum - that's what anybody does, that's what I do. And sorry... but these bugs really happen.

Then, davidl2 sent me to dev.xoops.org to report the bug there. I had to register (again) and after that I found out that there is a forum with one or two threads from 2005. I found out there is a "news" section for each project. This news section for XPress has also only one other bug message and when I look under bugs, there was not even one bug listed. Would you think that this place is the right place to file bug reports? I simply can't. Maybe I am too stupid, but since nobody else files bugs there, all other people are too stupid as well - or too lazy to go thru another round of registering for nothing.

If you were not the one who maintains that Dev Forge, would you be able to understand where there is the correct place to submit a bug?

I also looked into the forum at xoopsforge.com, but there are hardly any entries with replies.

I was very enthusiastic when I found your modules, but slowly I begin to regret using them, because each of them contains bugs or strange features (e.g. that Planet blocks don't update themselves). And since you don't even reply if you will look into those bugs, I am not very sure, I should continue using them.

I also was a bit disappointed when sending you language files for XPress but you didn't include them in the latest release. You could have simply said, that you don't want them.

I am sorry if I offend anybody here - but I always thought bug reports are being appreciated and I also thought that trying to clean up this jungle of forums, repositories, dev forges, download sections might help especially newbies to find what they need easily.

If I find some time, I will try to draw a newbie-chart where to look for modules and where to file bug reports. Maybe that would make it more clear that the current structure is... not really understandable.

Login

Who's Online

211 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 211

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits