TopKnot
Problems with Registering "Some" New Users?
  • 2006/7/4 11:28

• TopKnot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/27

I have 2 full on XOOPS sites and have had a problem with "some" guests not being able to register. My wife finally figured out the problem. So here is the set-up.

1. Guests using hotmail or yahoo mail as their primary e-mail would never get a "activation" e-mail. There are surely other e-mail systems that also have this problem but I don't know.

2. Guest trying to register with an IP based e-mail for the registration process did not have problems getting through the full registration process.

3. I was using a "gmail" e-mail address for the "Admin Mail Address" found in the XOOPS Admin Control Panel at Preferences Main »» General Settings

Here is what my problem was:

1. Hotmail and Yahoo Mail thought the automated "activation e-mail" that XOOPS sends out was sp*m or some kind of IP spoofing. These e-mails never reach their intended destination In-Box as they were blocked right at the Hotmail/Yahoo server.

The Fix:

I changed the site "Admin Mail Address" to an email that matched my website IP. For example:

Old "Admin Mail Address": tim@gmail.cam
New "Admin Mail Address": tim@thesite.cam

I'm sure there are others out there having this problem and I'm sure somewhere in the XOOPS documentation, this fix is addressed but I could not find it.

Hopefully someone out there will find this fix useful.

Ralyn
Re: Problems with Registering "Some" New Users?
  • 2009/6/3 19:57

• Ralyn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/9/16

This did the trick - I already had an e-mail set up for the URL, but was using my personal e-mail for the admin. I never even thought about that being a problem.

Thank you so much!

Login

Who's Online

118 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 118

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits