brewster66
Considering using Xoops: Is it more than I need?
  • 2006/7/3 19:02

• brewster66

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/3 1

I am considering using XOOPS and here is what I want to do so I am wondering if it is more than what I need.

1) Single website where the site owner wants to be able to create new web pages and put new content in.

2) Integrated blog

3) Events calendar

4) Client login / password protected -- but not to create their own web pages, just to have a private area to download files that the site owner may post to these individuals.
-- NOTE: The login page is private, I don’t want user name and login to show in the side bar. I want to give the appearance that the site is created one person – not a forum / portal site

5) Simple two column design, navigation on the right hand side.

…so is XOOPS right for this?

jensclas
Re: Considering using Xoops: Is it more than I need?

Xoops cam be as simple or as complex as you like...mine is a simple one - with news, articles, photos, a discussion board and a couple of other things. It is within my skills. The 'two column' look would come from your choice of theme. I was a total noob when I started and it got easier as i git my feet wet..grab the 'documentation' and read through the 'beginners first steps' faq...this information will guide you along the way. Just take one small step at a time.
my hobby siteNOTE: This is a XOOPS 2.0.13 site...haven't had time to play with the new one...

msdana
  • 2006/7/3 21:50

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Xoops can do everything you listed with relative ease.

There are modules for each of your needs listed in #1-3.

For #4, you can hide the login box. But I have to wonder how the users will log in to download the files.

There are many themes available, I'm sure at least one will suit your needs.

HTH
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

jegelstaff

Quote:

msdana wrote:
For #4, you can hide the login box. But I have to wonder how the users will log in to download the files.

Just put the login box on a different page, or put a link to the user.php page wherever you want.

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

brewster66
  • 2006/7/6 4:24

• brewster66

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/3 1

Thanks for all the comments. This helps!

Yes, I would just want to put the login on a different webpage with a URL that would be emailed to users and not linked from anywhere else in the site. I presume this is possible...

Bender
  • 2006/7/6 8:18

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

That would be as simple as http://yoursite.com/user.php
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Login

Who's Online

506 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 506

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits