reWARder
smartfaq and the serverload
  • 2006/6/28 8:04

• reWARder

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/28

Hi Guys

A couple of months ago I installed smartfaq on my website www.ocaholic.ch - Swiss IT-News. My team constantly added faqs and the last week I started adding a glossaire.

Yesterday evening ocaholic.ch was down ... Why? The server crashed because of a constantly very high load. I was talking with our ISP for hours. Suddenly I got the idea to deactivate the smart faq-module. What we recognized was a a server-load of 3% so everything was o.k. again.

Meanwhile we have around 650 faqs ins the smartfaq module. Is it possible that there is some kind of a backdoor in the smartfaq module that moves code between the site where it is installed and the manufacturer-Site of smartfaq?

The following pictures show the time the sites need to be generated with installed smartfaq and without smartfafq:

With smartfaq:
Resized Image

Without smartfaq:
Resized Image

PS: Is this the reason why smartfaq got it's name?

frankblack
Re: smartfaq and the serverload
  • 2006/6/28 8:12

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/6/13

It is always good to apply caching time to modules/parts which are not too often refreshed.

This should keep your cpu-balance down and make the site faster.

reWARder
  • 2006/6/28 8:15

• reWARder

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

frankblack wrote:
It is always good to apply caching time to modules/parts which are not too often refreshed.

This should keep your cpu-balance down and make the site faster.

How can I do so?

//edit
When I set the caching-time to the minimum of 30s at preferences/general setting the site also needs 10s to 20s to be loaded!

Bender
  • 2006/6/28 8:49

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Actually you should set it larger. The faqs are not changing every 30 seconds i guess

Quote:
Is it possible that there is some kind of a backdoor in the smartfaq module that moves code between the site where it is installed and the manufacturer-Site of smartfaq?

Haha ... der war gut

No seriously lets work on this. When SmartFAQ is active you say already your frontpage is that slow right?

So which block from SmartFaq are you displaying on your frontpage? Can you add a querrie counter for comparrisson?

Link

Also you might wanna post this over at The SmartFactory forum.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

reWARder
  • 2006/6/28 9:20

• reWARder

• Not too shy to talk

That you for your tip with the query-counter. I installed it and when smartfaq is activated I get !3500! queries and when it isn't installed i get 96.

So, there it really seems that the smartfaq does sth it shuldn't do

//edit
I got the point. When I activate contextual faq and when I display this block on every single site I get around 2000 to 4000 queries If I disable contextual faq everything works great again and I have 67 MySQL queries on the front-end and 399 queries in the smart-faq module.

Is there another possibility to use the contextual faq block that it doesn't generate as many queries as this?

Bender
  • 2006/6/28 13:22

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

I guess we will have to fix that then. Will bring it over to our dev site. Guess it should happen within a reasonable timeframe.

Until then i suggest you temporarely just donĀ“t use that block.

btw: (Just to make sure) Which version of SmartFaq is installed?
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Login

Who's Online

122 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 122

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits