Mwalker
2.0.13 registration fails if done using IE6 on XP!
  • 2006/6/22 21:45

• Mwalker

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/21

this is a wierd one...

we are running 2.0.13 with multilanguage ( english and russian)

Using windows 2000 (IE6 or latest firefox) i can register new users all day long, no problem whatsoever !

BUT we keep getting reports that no-one else can register, and everyone with the problem seems to be running XP.

i dont have an XP machine here, so cant troubleshoot.

most of our new users are russian, and they get an error message (in russian) after they enter their registration data - something that translates roughly to

" No identifier found for the current session..."

I just had my friend try again "in english"... but the same crash and the same error message (in Russian!)

the server itself is in California, and i'm over here in Russia (as are most of the users)

URL of our site is likkiwalker.ru (for russian language) or likkiwalker.com (for english language). You can of course toggle the language at any time by clicking the 'flags'!

Is this a known bug, maybe some new XP firewall rule breaks the session?? Or maybe there is some obscure bug in Russian version of Windows? (i think a browser or XP firewall issue is much more likely...)

If there is a known fix, to this - or any related problem - i'd be happy to hear about it!

Mwalker
Re: 2.0.13 registration fails if done using IE6 on XP!
  • 2006/6/22 22:41

• Mwalker

• Just popping in

By the way.. i havent been able to confirm this, but i strongly suspect that the error message is the equivalent of

"no valid security token found in session"

(which i have seen so much of lately on these forums)

jensclas

Well I use XP home edition and used IE 6 and managed to register on your site without much of a hitch.

I went to the russian site, clicked on the english, registered, retrieved the email, and clicked it..as FF is my automatic browser unforunately i didn't think before pressing the activiation link...and when i did it took me to the russian site. It took 2 clicks of the english flag to get the sign in in english.

I pasted the confirmation link into IE and got the 'already activated' message...

So I know this doesn't help much but it worked for me so XP itself may not be the problem...perhaps the firewall setup???

Cheers

Mwalker
  • 2006/6/22 22:55

• Mwalker

• Just popping in

thanks for the feedback!

If i understand the reports correctly, the error occurs on the page for entering the user data (not sure if its the first submit or the confirmation submit...) in either case you clearly "got past it" using XP & IE

Do you have XP firewall and/or popup blocker disabled, per chance?

Are you running 'WINDOWS defender' ??

jensclas

I use avg antivirus protection, The firewall in XP is on. I have not blocked popups in FF - most of the sites i go to don't give me grief over popups in ff..In IE 6 popup blocker is enabled...

I don't have (haven't heard of ) windoews defender...but I do know that form past expereinece here that there is an issue if your users are using nortons antivirus...and they must have cookies enabled.

take a look at this FAQ and try a search on 'nortons'
HTH

Mwalker
  • 2006/6/26 20:32

• Mwalker

• Just popping in

THANKS!!!!

I just tried the "disable referrer check" hack, will see if it helps any...

andycleff
  • 2006/6/26 21:42

• andycleff

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/4/29

One more place that might help you trouble shoot the problem ishttp://inboxsolutions.net/check/

They have set up a simple check system to identify what might be getting in the way. (Of course you'll have to run the check from one of the computers that is having trouble registering.)

More info about what to do your if XP's security or firewall software is blocking cookies/sessions can be found here:

http://www.womensbusinessforum.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=26

There's also a printer friendly (in english only, sorry) PDF guide to walk you through the steps for Norton.
Andy Cleff
Ampersand Design, Inc
Doylestown, PA
-----
Helping our clients bring great ideas into shape through integrated marketing, creative branding, print and web strategy, online learning and e-commerce.

www.ampersandesign.net

Mwalker
  • 2006/6/28 11:56

• Mwalker

• Just popping in

'disable referrer check' did NOT fix the problem.

but now that i have finally gotten a fresh new computer with Xp installed, i have IDENTIFIED the problem.

Its simply that internet explorer 6 BLOCKS the site cookies by default!

on a fresh copy, I see right away that cookies are blocked.. somehow my two development machines had the site added to their TRUSTED SITES LIST ( 'allow all cookies') a long time ago.

The FIX is simply to make the site P3P-compliant so that newer browsers will accept cookies by default.

i'm working on that now.. will post results when i get some

Mwalker
  • 2006/6/28 15:17

• Mwalker

• Just popping in

Thwarted, so far...

I am able to make my "server" 100% P3P-compliant (NO cookie-blocking!) by installing the appropriate files in a W3C folder off the root.

HOWEVER, for a very mysterious (to me, anyway!) reason, the same fix DOESNT work in my XOOPS root directory.

The XOOPS system is somehow automatically putting a "wrapper" around the P3P XML file, but the frame content is 'munged' and un-reachable due to the addition of an extra (unwanted!) slash character...

So instead of getting my nice P3P compliancy XML file, the XOOPS site somehow serves up a useless HTML file (sans the content)

(see details below...)

Does anybody know WHAT file i can edit to change (or preferably disable!) this wrapper? I'm very puzzled about the EXTRA slash - and how the rest of the site functions perfectly with it.

Does anybody know where i can get some DOCUMENTATION on the 'guts' of this system? I dont relish having to read through 500 files to sort this out...

BTW, I tried making an HTACCESS file in the XOOPS root directory to make a P3P HTTP header, but its not working either

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Results of P3P validation
Target URI:http://likkiwalker.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1: /w3c/p3p.xml Validation

URI:http://likkiwalker.com/w3c/p3p.xml

Step 1-1: Access check

/w3c/p3p.xml can be retrieved.

Step 1-2: Syntax check

/w3c/p3p.xml is NOT an well-formed XML file

mismatched tag at line 9, column 2, byte 398:
<title>The Official Likki Walker website </title>
</head>
=^
<frameset rows="100%,*" border="0">
<frame src="http://rockandroller.net/xoops/html//w3c/p3p.xml" frameborder="0" />

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2: HTTP Protocol Validation ( HTTP headers )

HTTP headers have no P3P: header.

Step 3: HTML File Validation

HTML document has no P3P compliant link tags.

Validator could not find valid policy reference file URI. Validation aborted.

Mwalker
  • 2006/6/28 15:31

• Mwalker

• Just popping in

more wierdness...

as you can see by clicking on the LINK in the post above, the XML file is "apparently" served up just fine, from the folder off the XOOPS root.

BUT...

all is NOT as it appears, because - some other unexpected 'embedded content'
called "about:blank" is ALSO being served, up - thus spoiling the P3P verification (which is otherwise flawless)

See this screencap of a "PrivacyBird" report...

Resized Image

Login

Who's Online

155 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 155

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits