rsfeller
cannot connect to database on new install wizzard...
  • 2006/6/3 18:24

• rsfeller

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/3 1

OK newbie to XOOPS but not install server side "stuff". Have been running PHP and mySQL previously withhttp://gallery.menalto.com/ and other products. Here is my system config:

PHP: 4.3.10
mySQL: 5.0 with mySQL Admin: 1.1
Xoops: 2.0.13.2
MS Win2K Server SP4
IIS 5.0
Doing a local install and setting it up with Firefox on the localhost.

I nailed the install config and permission on the first try. Everything has green light through the entire wizard but I get to the end and get a cannot connect to database message (red light).

I have created the datbase and correct permissions. mySQL server is running. I can connect to the database via command prompt or mySQL admin. I am not PHP/mySQL expert here but can get around pretty good. I know this may be a mySQL issue to resolve but I need to know form the experts what is the most likly thing I've done wrong or is wrong with my config.

Best I got from one unclear post is my problem is the version of mySQL 5.0. Someone may have said go with a mySQL 4.x version.

thanks.
Shawn
www.carboncow.net

jdseymour
Re: cannot connect to database on new install wizzard...

After you set the user and permissions did you flush privileges on the database? They will not take effect until reloaded.

rsfeller
  • 2006/6/3 19:15

• rsfeller

• Just popping in

i'm not sure what "flush means". I'll check my SQL book for that one. The mySQL Admin has no feature called flush. Additionally, doesn't restarting services (reboots) execute such process?

Why would I be able to connect via consol or cmd prompt then?

Like I said i'm no SQL expert!

thanks.
Shawn

jdseymour

A simple reboot of MySQL should work.

rsfeller
  • 2006/6/3 19:29

• rsfeller

• Just popping in

no dice. restarted service and even rebooted. is there internet guest privleages that should be given to a folder or database file, or is that what mySQL server is supposed to do?

this has to be a common problem with newbie setups!

jdseymour

OK. Sounds like a permission problem. Check the user you added to the database. Make sure you set it to have "all" previleges on the database. Restart then retry.

rsfeller
  • 2006/6/3 22:42

• rsfeller

• Just popping in

nada.

we've tried the root and two other passwords we've created. we've tried three different database names will ALL permissions assignable by mySQL.

if it was a permission is I doubt i could do it with the command prompt interface either?

can it have to do with xoops.com useing command lines for connections thus paths functionality needs set?

lastly although I have selected Notify me of new posts in this thread, I haven't got one email either! and it's not getting filters...

rsfeller
  • 2006/6/3 22:46

• rsfeller

• Just popping in

another comment. can this be an OBDC config issue? i just noted an error when trying to use a command prompt ot log in (old school) and got odbc@local host error!

don't get it when I use the command prompt functiionaltiy in MySQL admin inteface though? odd...

jdseymour

I am not very familiar in XOOPS on windows. Maybe take a look at This iisresource article and see if you can find reference to your problem there.

rsfeller
  • 2006/6/3 23:48

• rsfeller

• Just popping in

my last comments were wrong. i simple was getting desperate and using the wrong syntax.

this is very frustrating and must be an issue with mySQL versions or such.

show I be using OLD PASSWORDS or NEW PASSWORD encryption with xoops?
why can i log on create and modify tables/databases from the CMD prompt, mySQL administrator or even remotely but yet XOOPS config does want to connect!?!?

HELP SOMEONE! I cannot be the only IIS guy on here with this very simple concern. Everything else is setup and running 100%.

Login

Who's Online

150 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 150

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits