wizanda
Priavate messages notifications needs auto delete 2000PM+??
  • 2006/5/21 7:09

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Ok after Just finding an error in my Database; after installing the Welcome hack and if I register to check it, an error shows using XOOPS logical Table Check, (this is needed to be core!! it is so useful in find table error you don't know are there)

Anyway the error with welcome hack is a slight problem and maybe me using the same email confusing it, yet it say it has the same ID for those who are intrested....

The problem is this, my site has ran for 2/3 years now, now some of my first members selected Notifications, now since they don't know Xoops, they didnt select recieve this by Email....

Now when I relalised this, I included the PM Notification hack as this is a very needed feature, as the PM system is only viable if people are on line with out this hack....

Anyway on removing the errrors, there was over 2000 priavte messages sitting there from everything from downloads, forum, chess, ect

I have manually removed these now, yet what a mess!!

Is this the same on Xoops.org, that tons of the messages are being sent out for nothing, as if you get notice to your PM, how many of even Xoopers rember to delete them...

Now unless we are trying to be like my grandad and sort mail as Job, then I think we better do something asap....
Including the PM hack works as then they realize and can switch the notifcation off.

Yet from all the XOOPS sites with out this... check how many junk pm's your system has!!

As this may slow the whole thing down.

Solutions:

1 make it that the automatic notifaction system in XOOPS is the same as most websystems.... and email notifcation.... Which can then be changed via the switch at registration...

2 PM email notifaction selection and not hack, let the users clean up for them selfs by seeing what is going on, if chosen..

3....?

jensclas
Re: Priavate messages notifications needs auto delete 2000PM+??

You need 'dragon lady' (from my workplace) - she keeps sending us emails to remind us to delete our read, sent and deleted mail and has now put a cap on on the Megs of our accounts. When we are 'full' we can;t do anything till we free up some space. It works...but I have no idea how you could incorporate a dragon lady approach in XOOPS

panigrc
  • 2006/5/21 23:59

• panigrc

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/4/14

Yeah ! But this is not the solution! The solution is to be a cron job that checks all private messages and if they are unread and older than a specified time that should be deleted.
Or if not cron job than a simple system proccess that checks it whenever pms are posted. Also it could send a notification email to the member that unread messages older than [time] will be deleted in 10 days and the member should take action !
[size=xx-small]X-Park Greek Pc Modding Community
Official Greek Support at XoopsGreece.gr[/size]

wizanda
  • 2006/5/22 5:52

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Well since PHPPP is working on the core and just showed me how in CBB, it will delete posts after an expire periord isn't the same possible with XOOPS its self.

That the Notification System is edited that when A PM = $notifiy = delete after expire....

Is that Possible?
If so I think with out as you just put it with your dragon lady, that you over run your space, or for the amount of resource being used for nothing, this is very serious issue and if possible we could do with this fix....A.s.a.p...

As if you imagine all the XOOPS sites times by the PM notifiies that are possible, especially if you are not aware as I wasn't.....

==

!0000000000 Pm's worldwide and counting

Login

Who's Online

152 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 152

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits