THEM1060
NewBB Spam Posts - Any simple challenge hack avail?
  • 2006/5/20 13:25

• THEM1060

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/8

Using NewBB for forum posts. The board I run has legit anonymous posts, but does get a good amount of spam posts.

I keep banning the IP's, but the spam keeps coming.

Is there a hack for newbb for a simple challenge/response to stop spam?

Thanks!

wizanda
Re: NewBB Spam Posts - Any simple challenge hack avail?
  • 2006/5/20 14:43

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Yes, I am working on building a huge censor list of keywords they use for advertising

My XOOPS files

If you think or have any more add them and we can build a full censor of all usual spam posts..

bb2120
  • 2006/5/20 15:54

• bb2120

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/7/6 1

Rather than detecting spam keywords, wouldn't it make sense to force anonymous users to read an image (captcha) and type in the letters?

I understand that this is difficult, but it would be really nice to see such a device in the XOOPS core.

wizanda
  • 2006/5/20 17:18

• wizanda

• Home away from home

I understand your point of the image, yet really isn't this just another name, for username and password, as such....

As I have the same problem and rather then close my forum, I have ben building this list from my resident spammer who has now on his last post just put oops oops oops....

Actually I now what to do, can we please make it.... the censor words if actived diallow url's

that way if we all have a good list of the stuff they sell, if they go to add a ur,l they will get nothing whilst trying to use censored spammer words in links.

This should stop many, only people with a vendetta are going to keep trying if they can't write the words in the post, they can't make a link...

What do people think and is it an easy solution to add that feature to the censored words?

THEM1060
  • 2006/5/20 19:23

• THEM1060

• Just popping in

I was hoping for something like bb2120 was referring to. Just a simple text-image to textbox type challenge.

Even if someone could point me to something that comes close to that, and then I could hack it to work with newbb or something, that would be cool.

basically, as I look through the modules directory, I really don't see anything that comes close.

I'm sure since I'm having this issue, others are as well.

wizanda
  • 2006/5/20 19:41

• wizanda

• Home away from home

Ok ask phppp as he is working on CBB, so could add the feature.....
I will also join, as now my spammer added popup buy spyware cleaning stuff

skenow
  • 2006/5/20 21:18

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

If you are hosted on an Apache server, and you can add/modify the htacess file for your site, visit this site and see how you can do this.

We have had to do this, and anonymous posts on our site need to be approved before posting. Be sure to set your time limit for consecutive posts in your forum preferences, so you don't get a bunch of automated posts.

Tobias
  • 2006/5/21 5:27

• Tobias

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/13

One French speaking Xoopser has produced a Capcha implementation for Xoops. It's called SecurityImage. If you read a little French, you might be able to understand how to tweak it for newbb. Let me know if you found out

It's athttp://l.jen.free.fr/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1

A thread here (on the same issue with other modules) with some English leads would behttps://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=48977&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&start=0#forumpost215077

Ideally, we can get phpbb to integrate the feature. I'm getting all spam lately as well. And it's on approval only, so it doesn't even get through. Stupid idiots, them. What's the point, other than making this world a nastier place?
www.affvu.org

THEM1060
  • 2006/5/21 16:24

• THEM1060

• Just popping in

Tobias,

Thanks for the reference... that looks pretty good!

How you ever found that french language site that had the image challenge I couldn't figure out on my own.

I tried contacting the site owner to see if he could provide french translations, or mabye I'll just babelfish it.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

EDIT - Sorry, that other thread you reference has some english language instructions... I'll try those. Thanks again.

wizanda
  • 2006/5/21 16:27

• wizanda

• Home away from home

If you show me which bits you don't understand....
i don't find french that hard to read...
just tried and most makes sense...

Login

Who's Online

161 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 161

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits