rogue_77
Looking for simple community CMS to setup and run!! Need Advice!!
  • 2006/4/16 5:21

• rogue_77

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/8 1

Ok, this would be about the 3rd time I've installed XOOPS to "give it another shot." I like the setup of it and would love to use it, but everytime I install it theres some little tweak that I just can't deal with for my use...

I currently have 4600+ pictures to upload into about 20 different categories. I've used various XOOPS modules and liked only one, but I hated that one because I had to hand approve every picture and pick the category. I have a good number of downloads to add to the site, and users should be able to post anything they want(downloads, articles, pictures, comments, etc). I also want a wiki option that can use multiple wikis and a phpbb type of forum(I much prefer phpBB to any XOOPS forum). Also a good article management or blog setup with comments, etc.

I'm looking to use Xoops(any version), Joomla, or any other CMS out there that has a good support system, easily editable(theme, module, content) and I need your help at which modules or CMS' can do these things I want.

The pictures is the main thing because there are so many I have and they would probably be the core to the site. I don't like the whole "album" thing. I'd just like to make categories and upload directly into those, easily. Have all the pictures pre-approved and easily uploaded. IE; I upload a category of pictures into a directory and I goto admin and approve that entire directory and that dir is moved into the category for viewing. Easy as pie.. I have not found anything that easy. Everything I run across seems like its meant for sites that will have 100 pictures, not 4000. Should be same deal with my downloads because I'd add alot of those. Also media players for movies.

I'm looking for which modules because I can't test them all, to time consuming and very confusing and messy.

If you can lay down a structure for me, thatd be great! Like: XOOPS 2.0.2.13, mydownloads, p-album, popupblog, arms, etc. Or just any advice.

Thanks a ton!

Joe

Will_H
Re: Looking for simple community CMS to setup and run!! Need Advice!!
  • 2006/4/16 7:36

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

You definitely are not the first person to request this kind of information, and there are going to be tons of different answers based on each users preferences.

The problem with your question is that you are asking us to tell you what is best for you.... That's just not what this cms is about....

Its your solution, your choice... Its all possible, you just have to be willing to invest the time, and sometimes money, to get it done.

I would say that the easiest way to make this decision is for you to decide which cms has the best functionality, security, and ease of use for your needs.... Nearly everything has integration capabilities...

So pick your cms and use it as a base, then integrate in the forums that you want, and the gallery that you want...etc.

What I am getting at is that just because you are using the XOOPS shell, does not mean that you cant put a bumping sound system in it.

Poke around and google around for "xoops integration" when you see something you may want to use.

Granted you may not end up liking what ya see, but atleast you wont be mad at anyone here for telling you that this module is better than that one... You would have made the call.

Sorry that its not very supportive, just thought that outsourcing would suit your needs better.

Good Luck,

jensclas

I agree with biteronboard...we can guide you but ultimately you have to do the hard yards yourself - which for me has been lots of reading...read the FAQ's, the docs (linked below) and search the forums.

However
for images i do suggest xcgallery. Read Page 2 of this thread to see how you use ftp to upload you pictures. Unfortunately you are stuck with creating albums in categories first - check my site to see how many pics and albums I have got and you will see. However - once I git past those first uploads it is easy to manage - and yes that is not 4000 pics...so you have a bit of work ahead!

as for the rest:

xoops version 2.0.13 because it is stable, most of the information is relevant. XOOPS 2.2 has less useage and less information. There is a new one coming which will pull them together but you can search for info pn this too.

A new wiki module was just released - could be your answer.

If you check the modules sections I think there is a phpbb module for forum.

go to smart factory for smart section (old wf section) to get a good article management system and smart downloads for your downloads - you can't go past the back up and support as you will see on the site. I'm pretty sure they have something for movies there too.

Hope this helps in your hunt!
Cheers

rogue_77
  • 2006/4/17 0:00

• rogue_77

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/8 1

I do partially agree that ideally it would be best to just hire a programmer because I don't want anything THAT complicated, but I just don't have the money and I personally can't program that well. I can edit programming, but can't put anything together from scratch.

I am currently trying again from scratch with 50 some modules that I'm going to be using for testing and hopefully decide from that what I want... It'll take time, but eh...

I was just wondering if anyone knew any options for me.. I'm just honestly amazed no ones made anything quite what I need because I just need some simple stuff.. eh..

I just really don't like Albums because you create the album then create a sub thing.. Its not like just a directory full of pictures for 1 subject.. I'll have to mess around with it more.

Thanks for the feedback.

Login

Who's Online

434 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 434

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits