peterr
Controlling the viewing of user profiles, or profile information
  • 2006/3/11 1:02

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/8/5 9

The above topic is addressed somewhat in XOOPS 2.2.x, but is not addressed in the "recommended' version - 2.0.13.2

However, there is an easy hack, a one liner to get started for 2.0.13.2, see

https://xoops.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=282

I'm assuming the extended profiles seen in 2.2.x will be further enhanced in 2.3, .... I certainly hope so, if not, this is a request PLEASE. :)

Several methods to address this, but this is what I would like to see ...

===================
1. Individually, something like a simple checkbox, the same as 'hide my email address' would be suitable, a checkbox to 'hide my profile', but of course the 'webmaster' and others on _that_ profile level can view it, and view all profiles.

2. This second option would be great. There is already a 'hierarchy' of users established, so what I think would be ideal, for security/privacy reasons would be the viewing of profiles to only be on an 'equal or lower' basis.

That is, a 'webmaster' can view the profile of others on his/her profile level, other webmasters, admins, moderators, and they can also view any profiles below their level.

The next level down could NOT ever view a higher level, but could view their own level, and those beneath them. (unless that user on that level had selected to 'hide my profile').

Anonymous/guuest users would NOT be able to view profiles at all, this keeps private information away from search engines also.
=========================

Now, some justification for hiding the profile. The profile contains the username which is of course the login name. I think there has been some issues discussed here on the forums recently in this regard, .... hide the login name at all costs.

Which would lead to some flexibility in my request, ... hide the username PLEASE, or allow either individual users to decide, or the admins, webmasters, etc.

No doubt the use of displaying the users 'real name', in place of their login/username would be ideal.

Thanks,

P
NO to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard.
Sign the petition

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits