RSearcy
Using one username and password to login to Xoops and chat program
  • 2006/2/6 20:50

• RSearcy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/2 2

Hello there. I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum.

I have XOOPS installed on a test server because I'm redesigning a popular TV show fansite.

I have XOOPS installed and everything. However, I've tried the various chat modules available and can't get any of them to work that well (not only for that reason, some of those programs the users of the site I'm redesigning hate certain programs like FlashChat, etc.).

I've installed some chat software that I uploaded myself and I'd like to know how to do the following:

When someone signs up using the XOOPS system, how can I copy their user ID, username, and password over to another user table in the same database?

i.e. User signs up in Xoops, their user ID, username, password, and email address are put into the xoops_user table, I'd like for that same form to also insert the same UID, username, password, and email address into a table called pcpin_user

What I'm wanting to do is enable users to only have to have 1 username/password combo to use both programs without them having to sign up a 2nd time.

How can this be done?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if I confused ya. lol

wtravel
Re: Using one username and password to login to Xoops and chat program

If you would do that, you also need to change the password in both tables if the XOOPS password is changed.

The more important issue is that this solution will only make sure that the Chat password and username are the same as those of XOOPS. I am not sure how this chat program authenticates the user, but you would probably still need to log into the Chat software as well as XOOPS unless you hack the Chat program to use the XOOPS authentication method.

RSearcy
Re: Using one username and password to login to Xoops and chat program
  • 2006/2/6 21:48

• RSearcy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/2 2

Quote:

wtravel wrote:
If you would do that, you also need to change the password in both tables if the XOOPS password is changed.

The more important issue is that this solution will only make sure that the Chat password and username are the same as those of XOOPS. I am not sure how this chat program authenticates the user, but you would probably still need to log into the Chat software as well as XOOPS unless you hack the Chat program to use the XOOPS authentication method.

The logging in again isn't a big problem. It's just that I wanted to use the same user/pass combo for both XOOPS and the chat program.

Now, if a user wanted to change his/her password, the chat does offer a place for changing the password, so if they do change the password, they may have to do it at both places. If you do know how to modify the change password file or whatever to where it'll change the password in the chat table as well, that'd be great, if not, no big deal, they'll just have to change it in both programs (the person asking me to do the redesign won't mind, in fact, he's gonna get someone else to create a theme for the redesign, because of my lack of knowledge about themes).

Login

Who's Online

415 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 415

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits