jcscoobyrs
Hacking The News Module Blocks
  • 2006/2/2 3:57

• jcscoobyrs

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/1 2

***DISCLAIMER***
I did not know a good place to post module-specific stuff so I figured this fit the bill best.

I have a client that had a web site built around XOOPS. I want to be able to make it so that the Recent News block in the News Module, news_block_new.html, has access to topic information. Can someone help me with this? I have gone through the code and tried to find a way to do this but apparently I do not have the understanding to do this on my own. I have never written a module or hacked one at this low a level.

Take care,

Jeremy

The only real important information:
XOOPS Version: 2.0.9
News Version: 1.1

MadFish
Re: Hacking The News Module Blocks
  • 2006/2/2 4:11

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Jeremy

I see you've found how to clone blocks in another thread.

I suggest that you upgrade to the latest version of News (1.44?). In this version, the 'recent news' block comes with an option to filter by topic(s). So if you clone it, you can have as many topic-specific recent news blocks as you want. Same is true of the 'recent post' block in NewBB2 (which has easy cloning, see the readme file), and we managed to hack the 'recent downloads' block of WF-downloads as well.

We are combining these with multiple instances of a duplicatable content module (Tiny-D) to create topic-specific 'sub-portals' for our work site.

jcscoobyrs
  • 2006/2/2 16:27

• jcscoobyrs

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/1 2

MadFish,
Thanks for the help. Can I expect any problems with the upgrade?

Take care,

Jeremy

MadFish
  • 2006/2/2 17:34

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I don't remember having a problem with it, but check the readme and backup your site first, just in case :)

Login

Who's Online

506 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 506

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits