oscms
latest release is 2.2.4 but there is no download?
  • 2006/1/24 3:07

• oscms

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/24

I don't get it... It says the latest release is 2.2.4, but there is only a patch for 2.2.3 to go to 2.2.4?

So are you saying the only full release is 2.2.3, but in order to use the latest code you have to then turn around and update your download of 2.2.3 to 2.2.4?

That is ridiculous. If I'm a new user I just want to download the latest stable release and be done with it. I don't want to download and install an old release, then have to immediately patch it in order to be using the "newest" release.

That's as silly as e107 where you had to download an old buggy version of .6.x then go through 5 patches in order to be using the latest code. Why they didn't have a complete download that incorporated all the patches is beyond me. Please don't go down that path. Please post a complete download of 2.2.4.

JMorris
Re: latest release is 2.2.4 but there is no download?
  • 2006/1/24 5:19

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Actually, if you want the latest "stable" release, download 2.0.13.2

Sorry it's kinda confusing right now. We are working on this.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Stewdio
  • 2006/1/24 5:21

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

2.2.4 is a bugfix release only with very limited files.

If you are not running 2.2.3a, you do not need these release files.
XOOPS Community Support

oscms
  • 2006/1/24 5:49

• oscms

• Just popping in

Quote:

Stewdio wrote:
2.2.4 is a bugfix release only with very limited files.

If you are not running 2.2.3a, you do not need these release files.

I'm simply confused. If 2.2.4 is the latest 2.2.x release there needs to be a full download for it. There are new XOOPS users that want to download the latest version. They don't want to download 2.2.3 and then patch their system to reach the latest release. Not everyone is a veteran XOOPS users who is already running 2.2.x.

This brings me to another question. Is the 2.2 series what you want demo'ed at opensourceCMS.com? I simply assumed all new users would want the 2.2 series therefore that's what was being demo'ed. Does XOOPS prefer to have the 2.0.x series represent them instead?

At the moment I've taken XOOPS down until this gets straightened out. Thanks.

Stewdio
  • 2006/1/24 6:02

• Stewdio

I appologize for the confusion.

We will all try to make everything as easy as possible here in the forums for those that may have minor setbacks with the patch release files.

Installing the full package, along with the small patch files (via simple ftp upload) will be no problem for new and veteran users alike. It's a simple upload and mouse click in the module section that takes only moments. Future bug fixes will most likey include previous bug fixes to save from multiple updates, although I am not the authority on file release and leave that up to the development team for further clarification.

This sometimes is a normal development and release cycle for some platforms. We have run into this situation before and all was handled quite well by the community in a much more confusing situations. We have learned much over the years.

It has also been mentioned recently that there will be no more full package releases for the 2.2.x series, just bug fixes until the next major release. Herko can clarify this more for me.

As for the demo site, that is up to them on what versions they wish to demo. 2.2 series is a fine demo for the features that are under development IMO.

Once again, we're sorry about the confusion this may cause you but that what we're here for.

No worries, it's all good and we'll make sure your well taken care of.
XOOPS Community Support

oscms
  • 2006/1/24 6:13

• oscms

• Just popping in

Once you guys get it figured out just shoot me an email at admin at opensourcecms.com telling me what you want to do. We will only demo full release versions so if you want 2.2.x demo'ed you'll have to have a full download available. As of now, XOOPS is no longer listed at opensourceCMS.com. Thanks.

Stewdio
  • 2006/1/24 6:28

• Stewdio

I understand your reaction, and empathize with you fully.

My recommendation would be to list the 2.0 series as a demo for the time being, however many releases in the past and possibly future releases will have patches available that are neccessary. This is normal for any development project as I am sure you quite understand, given the nature of your business.

The file releases here at XOOPS.org are clearly marked on the front page and almost any user will notice right away that they will need to download additional files; and in good fashion, the new users will hit us up here on the forums and we will be all to happy to oblige them with any concerns they have.

Currenly, users have their choice of releases.

XOOPS 2.0.13.2 Full
(released 2005/10/28)

XOOPS 2.0.13.1 to 2.0.13.2 upgrade patch
(released 2005/10/28)

XOOPS 2.2.3 Final
(released 2005/10/30)

XOOPS 2.2.3 Final to 2.2.4 upgrade patch
(released 2006/01/23)

Thats about all I can say about your concerns without going over my bounds and stepping on others territory; other who, I might add, are far more qualified then I to address your valid concerns.

I for one appreciate the work you do on your site and I was there myself just the other night checking out alternatives.

Keep up the good work!
XOOPS Community Support

oscms
  • 2006/1/24 6:44

• oscms

• Just popping in

Patches are fine. That is the nature of the beast. However, if you're going to release a new version number there needs to be a full download also available with the patches applied that corresponds to that new version number.

Otherwise, you're just asking new users to download an old and known buggy version first, then apply patches in order to get it up to date. Far be it from me to tell anyone how to run their community though. If this is the way you want to do things, then more power to you. Please email me if need be as I won't be keeping tabs on this thread any longer.

Thank you for your time.

Stewdio
  • 2006/1/24 7:18

• Stewdio

Fair enough perspective. In our defence though, the gaming comminity has been doing it that way for years, if thats a fair enough analogy.

It is ultimately up to the development team though, I"m just a community guy; a person for the people if you will

Anyways, thanks for the conversation. The input is always considered and appreciated!
XOOPS Community Support

mawi27
  • 2006/1/24 7:31

• mawi27

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/1/1 1

Pls don't forget all the commercial products:
Microsoft
Oracle
SAP
etc.

They have a loooong tradition delivering versions that have to be patched or SPed before running stable.

Also, as i understand the update to 2.2.4, there would be no problem to expand a 2.2.3, overwrite the files with the 2.2.4 update, zip everything again and voilá you have the full 2.2.4 release.
Is this correct, or did i miss something?

Marco
--
Match Dart!
Darts Ranking, News, Videos, Forum and more

Login

Who's Online

189 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 189

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits