DMarvelus
www.georeader.com
  • 2006/1/22 2:17

• DMarvelus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

Right now i am testing a site that has to do with combining maps and content management systems. I have hacked XOOPS and some modules to make them location aware.

The site is at:

http://www.georeader.com

let me know of your questions/comments/suggestions.

if you would like, feel free to click around, register, and post.

Unfortunately, it only geocodes US addresses (finds lat/lon given address), and has US cities, although you may enter lat/lon coordinates for anywhere.

gestroud
Re: www.georeader.com
  • 2006/1/22 3:00

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

The site looks pretty good and it's a very good idea behind it, but the right column kind of takes away from the visual appeal.

You may also want to add one of the weather modules and maybe the Open Directory module for added stickiness.

DMarvelus
  • 2006/1/22 3:38

• DMarvelus

• Just popping in

Quote:

gestroud wrote:
The site looks pretty good and it's a very good idea behind it, but the right column kind of takes away from the visual appeal.

You may also want to add one of the weather modules and maybe the Open Directory module for added stickiness.

Yea, I'm still working on the layout part.

The weather block i created was just a quick and easy way to do it, but, i will check out the weather modules.

That open directory thing sounds like a good idea.

I may give it a try. I am definately looking for more modules i can geo-hack.

MaoSoto
  • 2006/2/2 0:16

• MaoSoto

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/1 2

Hi,
Please tell us how are you making georeader.com possible. I would love to have similar functionality.

Keep the great work.

Thanks,

Mauricio

marcionline

I believe that he uses Google Maps API. Then created a block with the apropriated code.

Realy nice!

EDIT: There are a module Google Maps too.

DMarvelus
  • 2006/2/21 20:46

• DMarvelus

• Just popping in

Hi.

I did create something similar to the google maps module. It uses the google maps API.

But also, one thing i was attempting to accomplish is to make a site where you could type in a location, and it will show things in/near that city/country.

This is really just a test site, and i am working on some improvements like putting international cities/countries in there. Right now, only the US is there.

Basically how i did it is i made a library that allows locations to be put in the database along with other (arbitrary) items like forum threads, or photo albums.

So, for each item, you can add a location either by entering a latitude/longitude, or clicking on a map, or for American addresses, entering the address. Then, you can go to the page for that location, and see what's there.

Also, I changed the search function in the kernel, so you can search for a word nearby a specific location.

Perhaps I will release the code one day, but right now, the code isn't in the best shape.

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits