melsen
Recommendations for Effecient Backup Solution
  • 2006/1/11 14:10

• melsen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/22

I recently started a multi-game guild community which have been picking up quite nicely. Large modifications are done constantly, and the more and more works that's put into that site, the worse it would be to lose.

Therefor, I'm looking for someone who can guide me to setup a good and effecient backup solution that works smoothly - are easy accessible and easily restored if nessecary.

Just for the record, I'm using XOOPS 2.2.3

I read about that XOOPS backup module that phppp created, but judging by the comments, there several things in chinese, and it doesn't say if it's compatible with 2.2.3 either which naturally are a nessecity.

If there is any long-term XOOPS users here who have established a proper routine for backing up everything related to your XOOPS site - files as well as the sql database, then I'd be greatful if you could share that with me.

Thanks in advance.
Allan Melsen
[size=x-small]Founder of R.I.A.[/size]

Renegade Insane Asylum

Goober
Re: Recommendations for Effecient Backup Solution
  • 2006/1/11 15:35

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/30

I'm sure there's better ways of doing it - but this is what it do.

If I hack a core page I make a zip file, put the page in it and include a text file referencing what I did and why. It makes it easier for me to recall changes that way rather than just commenting a line in the php file.

My DB backups are too large for PHPMyAdmin anymore so I have resorted to using Big Dump. I backup my DB daily and just save it with the date as the file name. I keep 3 days at a time and just rotate the oldest one out as the new one comes in.

I keep a copy of the theme folder (zipped) I'm currently using too and add the changes as I do them.

After that, i put everything on CD (sucks to have a hard drive fail) and wa la!
Dispelling the Mystical belief of Web Standards and tableless CSS.
Nobody gets excited about the tools used to build a house, people get excited about how the house looks and performs

Speed
  • 2006/1/11 16:48

• Speed

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

I've been using one of the old backup modules in XOOPS 2.2.x without any problems. I manually run it bi-weekly on my very small site and have it email the file to a gmail account I set up so I can have an offsite backup. I zip up the whole directory structure quarterly or before any major updates.

Goober's suggestion sounds much better. It would be fantastic if a mod author would adapt that to XOOPS and automate it. Reliable backups are one of the most important things to have for a website but for some bizarre reason, they are treated as an afterthought....

If I were to rank the must-have modules for a XOOPS site, they'd be news, forums and backup. Everything else can be added to suit the needs of the site. We've got excellent choices for the first two. Now if only we had a feature-rich backup....

McDonald
  • 2006/1/11 17:04

• McDonald

• Home away from home

• Since: 2005/8/15

I am using XOOP DB backup & restore 3.0 with XOOPS 2.2.3
It has some good backup features and has BigDump-script integrated so restoring big files is not a problem.
Backup can be saved to server, downloaded or sent by email.
Backup can be saved as sql or gzip.
There's also a feature to have 1 backup file, all table separately or only those tables you've selected.
The backup date is part of each filename.
Normally I backup each table separately to my server so I can choose which table I want to restore.

Resized Image

Login

Who's Online

131 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 131

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits