ICHI_UK
NEWS Modules
  • 2006/1/11 10:30

• ICHI_UK

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/1

I am currently using XOOPS 2.0.13.2 and News module 1.1 but I am looking for a more swish looking news module... something that can add more than just Recent News on the frontpage..

Can anyone suggest the best news module to use and point me in the direction of a site using this so I can look for myself.

Thanks

V6-Maniac
Re: NEWS Modules
  • 2006/1/11 12:19

• V6-Maniac

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/15

I do not know exactly what you mean by "swish looking news module..."
But on my site i am using News v 1.44 which i slighty hacked for my own perpose.
And added some extra blocks to create multiple recente news artikels on the mainpage.
Al do i am working on a new layout but the news module will be the same later on...

www.stylingnoord.nl

ICHI_UK
  • 2006/1/11 14:55

• ICHI_UK

• Not too shy to talk

Thank you mate... "swish" meaning looking the best

I will have a mess with News 1.44

V6-Maniac
  • 2006/1/11 14:58

• V6-Maniac

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/15

Quote:

ICHI_UK wrote:
Thank you mate... "swish" meaning looking the best

I will have a mess with News 1.44

I see, thx for the explaination...
I wish you luck,

defwind77
  • 2006/1/12 8:59

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/11

Have a look at News 1.44, Smartsection, Article, and AMS 2.41.

By many other CMS' standards they still lack an awful lot of 'swish' however they're all being developed steadily to bring them up to par.

Personally I'm putting my money on News 1.44 or Smartsection -

The first to integrate image thumbnails on the 'recent items list' ie so we can get the look that xoops.org has had for years will get my vote, but it's just a matter of waiting.

News 1.44 has better support for the WYSIWYG editors like the excellent Fckeditor, so it depends what you need!

ICHI_UK
  • 2006/1/12 12:10

• ICHI_UK

• Not too shy to talk

Funny you should mention the same look as XOOPS News as thats what am looking for. I have upgraded to News 1.44 and just need to have a good old play with it to see if I can get Recent News or Recent Items looking good on the homepage...

Please explain this WYSIWYG editors?? I am not very good with PHP, infact am rubbish!! Only really good at a bit of HTML coding..

defwind77
  • 2006/1/13 16:30

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/11

Well try replying to this message and you'll see that several little icons appear that 'add code' - eg if you want to insert a link, an image etc in your post to this forum you click the icon above and it talks you through the code.

WYSIWYG editors not only add the code, but they show exactly what it'll look like at the end (What You See Is What You Get) so it's more like using Word or something - when you click to insert an image the image appears.

Some REALLY good ones like FCKEDITOR even have the full shebang and it looks pretty much identical to using word - visit -http://www.fckeditor.net/ and look at their demos and you'll see what I mean.

In terms of getting the page like the xoops.org page, that's what everyone seems to want, but bizarrely nobody has actually integrated that functionality into a module yet!!! As I said there's a couple of developers who are looking at it - with Smartsection being the most likely to get there first...

It's a bit like the space race, depends who you back really.. ;)

ICHI_UK
  • 2006/1/13 17:12

• ICHI_UK

• Not too shy to talk

Thank you mate... will look into the link you stated

filesiteguy

Quote:

V6-Maniac wrote:
on my site i am using News v 1.44 which i slighty hacked for my own perpose.
And added some extra blocks to create multiple recente news artikels on the mainpage.

How did you go about adding a block? This is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.

I'm currently copying my news articles and pasting them in a custom html block for appearance on the front page.
Kai Ponte
The FileNET Developer Forum || My Site

$question = $bb|!$b(2)...

Will_H
  • 2006/1/13 21:25

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

I tell ya I am in love with the AMS(Article Managemment System) module. its so pimped out. On top of that it allows you to show an unlimited amount of spotlights to whatever category.(So recreating the XOOPS spotlight cluster is a snap. The only diference is that xoops.org shows links to that last 3 and AMS spotlights the latest article.)

If you are trying to create that link look AMS is the closest to it stock.

Login

Who's Online

177 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 177

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits