chrometuna
Multiple Forums or Cloned Forum modules?
  • 2005/12/26 11:09

• chrometuna

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/24

Hi, I have looked around and seen this asked in other threads, but have seen no satisfactory answers or solutions.

I (And others appearently) am in need of running TWO seperate, discrete forums on my XOOPS 2.2.3 site.

It would be good if I could run TWO CBB forums (One of them a clone) OR TWO *different* forum modules.

I am weary of the bbpixle modules because they have twice crashed my site and I don't like all of the modifying of core files.

I am too dumb to go about clonging modules on my own, but perhaps someone else has done this? Or would be interested in doing this?

Cheers
bob c

JMorris
Re: Multiple Forums or Cloned Forum modules?
  • 2005/12/26 11:17

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Could you clearify why you would need two instances of the forum module?

As flexible as CBB is, I fail to see why you would need two seperate instances. The group category and forum permission structure is more than granular enough to where you could use permissions to accomplish the seperation.

I could just be missing the benefit of running duplicate forums, though. If you can explain why you want two instances, it might help us define a solution for you.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

chrometuna
  • 2005/12/26 12:36

• chrometuna

• Just popping in

Why two seperate forums?

One reason is that I have TWO distinctly different sets of users, and each set of users needs a set of forums/catagories.

I know that some of this can be resolved by permissions and user groups. But there are some "crossover" users that could use BOTH forums, that too could be solved with permissions/groups.

But I also want the two forums to look different and have different settings and permissions.

Because some of the forum modules are just updates of older modules, they also seem to have different MySQL database tables, which measn it is a pain in the butt to re-insert the data (Different fields etc).

Some of us just want TWO seperate forum modules.

Thanks
Cheers
bob c

JMorris
  • 2005/12/27 3:11

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:
But I also want the two forums to look different and have different settings and permissions.

Ok, that makes sense.

If it were me, I would run two distinctly different modules. This would help reduce the risk of accidental data corruption on update that you would have with cloned modules.

I would suggest using CBB for the forum that requires the most granular permissions and using Newbbex for the more general forum. Since you want the two forums to have different looks, the differences in the interfaces would be less important.

If maintaining consistancy of appearance is high on your list, then I would recommend cloning. A quick search of the FAQ and forums will turn up quite a few posts on how to clone modules.

I hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

chrometuna
  • 2005/12/27 7:50

• chrometuna

• Just popping in

Quote:

JMorris wrote:

If it were me, I would run two distinctly different modules. This would help reduce the risk of accidental data corruption on update that you would have with cloned modules.

I would suggest using CBB for the forum that requires the most granular permissions and using Newbbex for the more general forum. I hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

James

That is close to the answer I was looking for.

But it seems to me like I tried this, and the two modules comflicted.....like they tried using the exact same database tables?

Isnt CBB just a re-wired version of newbbex?

Im not sure if I am ready yet to tackle cloning a forum module....seems like I have read here that those are particularly tricky. But I would bet that there are enough people like me that would really dig a cloned forum module?

Too bad that most of us that want such a thing are not able to DO it!

Thanks!
Cheers
bob c

chrometuna
  • 2005/12/27 7:59

• chrometuna

• Just popping in

OK, Ive tried this, and here is the error messages that I get:

Quote:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare get_total_topics() (previously declared in /public_html/modules/newbbex/functions.php:25) in /public_html/modules/newbb/include/functions.php on line 643

I did some searching on these errors here, but my little brain couldnt make sense of the info, or find any real solutions?

CBB works fine, no errors after installing newbbex. But newbbex shows these errors (And nothing else on the page)

What code modifications can I make? And where?

And how can I use koivi or spaw editor with this forum?

(I also cant seem to get SPAW to work in the news module...but it DOES work in the zmagazine module?)

I thank anyone for any help!

Cheers
bob c

Bender
  • 2005/12/27 9:11

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

You could use a grep tool and rename this funtion within newbbex module to something different since it seems this name is used in both modules then.

Problem is that you might have to redo this with every moduleupdate in the future. (which is not so much of a problem as long as it will only affect a handfull of functionnames)
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

davidl2
  • 2005/12/27 12:10

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

chrometuna wrote:
Isnt CBB just a re-wired version of newbbex?

No. Newbbex is a fork of Newbb. (But a very good one indeed!)

CBB is a continuation of Newbb2 - which is a continuation of Newbb 1

chrometuna
  • 2005/12/27 16:45

• chrometuna

• Just popping in

Quote:

Bender wrote:
You could use a grep tool and rename this funtion within newbbex module to something different since it seems this name is used in both modules then.

Problem is that you might have to redo this with every moduleupdate in the future. (which is not so much of a problem as long as it will only affect a handfull of functionnames)

OK.
Now pardon my ignorance, but what is a "grep tool"? And how do I use it?

Is this a matter of both modules trying to use the same database table? If so, the why do I only get this error in newbbex and not CBB?

Cheers
bob c

chrometuna
  • 2005/12/27 17:48

• chrometuna

• Just popping in

OK, I reverted to the "original" newbbex module and to the original error. (So that I could start making changes fresh)

I get:
Fatal errorCannot redeclare get_total_topics() (previously declared in /modules/newbbex/functions.php:25in /modules/newbb/include/functions.php on line 643

So is there a simple change I can make to one of these lines/files?

And will that just lead me to the next error?

I am sure that someone else will benifit from this thread and info, as it is something that I havnt found a satisfactory solution for.

Thanks!

Cheers
bob c

Login

Who's Online

166 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 166

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits