Xman04
MySQL Connection limits
  • 2005/12/7 21:16

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/12

While searching for a shared web hosting plan, I came across the issue of limits on MySQL database connections. This is not something that is openly addressed by hosting services. They emphasize the bandwidth and drive space, but I've not seen anyone "openly" mention the quantity of simultaneous database connections that are allowed at any one time. I had to ask around or read all the fine print in the terms of use sections.

Thus, you could have a hosting plan with 400GB of bandwidth, but with users receiving frequent connection error messages, even at low levels of site traffic. The problem is that the shared plans tend to have some very restrictive limits, such as only allowing 15 concurrent MySQL connections at any one time. This means that if 16 users attempt to open a MySQL generated page at the same time, then the 16th person will probably receive an error message and get locked out of the page.

I've been asking around, trying to find out what is an acceptable connection limit for a shared plan. For example, if there are usually 100 to 200 people using my site at any one time, then what is an acceptable limit for simultaneous database connections?

One host told me that I should have no problem with a connection limit of 25, if 100 people are using my forum at the same time. The assumption being that it would be unlikely for 26 people to trigger a database query at the same time. Obviously, the more people on a site, the more likely that the limit will be reached more frequently. I was told that I wouldn't have a problem with a 25 user connection limit, until I had about 700 to 800 active users on my site at the same time. Does this sound accurate? It doesn't sound too accurate to me.

Does anyone have any information on what would be acceptable limits for different volumes of traffic?

Does anyone know of any shared plans with unlimited connections or minimal restrictions?

Thanks,
Dave

Login

Who's Online

439 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 439

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits