dickinsd
Changing a module - will this cause problems for the search engines?
  • 2005/12/3 16:27

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/11/14

Hi.

I am planning on changing to a module that can offer a couple of extra features. However I already have 50 articles (there abouts) with another module.

I want to transfer about 45 of them to the new module and use the old module for specific articles.

I accept that if I just remove the old articles I will get loads of people that are unable to find the original content.

So what I have decided to do is remove the module from my main menu so that people can no longer get to it when they just visit the site, but keep all of the existing articles in their place. The module will still allow access to anonymous users etc so that any search engines that are pointing to articles or anyone that has favourites will still be able to get to the content.

My main question is will Mr Google and his friends have an issue with my site having 2 copies of certain content?

I don't really want to; but should I go through each of the existing articles and add a meta forwarder to the new article, that way all favourites and search engine links will get to the content they want, AND I will only have one copy of the material on the site?

Please share your thoughts.

Dave

Login

Who's Online

230 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 230

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits