sbrown1038vl
URL confusion

I checked the XOOPS installation guide, but it assumes that everything will be installed correctly.

I don't know how common my setup is -- i have a registered domain, miabrown.com, that is forwarded to my server (a pc connected to the internet through a wireless router) from a web hosting service. Luckily, my IP address has only changed twice in the past year. Anyway, when I installed XOOPS, it used my internal IP address (192.168.###.###) for XOOPS_URL. In order to view my site from outside the network, I have to change the IP address in mainfile.php to that of the router.

As a workaround, I have two mainfile.php.### files that I alternately copy to mainfile.php to switch my site back and forth (between internal and external viewing). If I use the domain name in the mainfile.php, all I see is an un-themed site, internally and externally. There are issues with the banners, too. I have to manually change all the banners to the internal or external IP address. Is there a better way to set up my system so that I can see a properly themed site no matter where I'm viewing it from? Perhaps Apache is not configured correctly or /etc/hosts? Since I haven't seen other posts with this problem, I'm assuming that I haven't set up my system correctly, though I don't have this problem with other content management software.

Any assistance is appreciated.

LazyBadger
Re: URL confusion

If only real-IP changed, not hostname and you can assign (over internal DNS-zone or hosts file) any name to 192.168.* address

you can use trick "Answer on any host request, which reached XOOPS-site, with requested name"

Just edit one string in mainfile.php and write it as
define('XOOPS_URL', 'http://'.$HTTP_HOST);

(this way I have one site known under 2 different names to Net, and all internal links are changed according to requested hotsname)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

Login

Who's Online

164 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 164

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits