raygauci
Creating a new language
  • 2005/11/23 17:51

• raygauci

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/16

I want to have XOOPS core files translated into my own language Maltese. I will be using the English version to translate into Maltese, but what files need to translate to show all the words in Maltese?

gediminasbyt
Re: Creating a new language

for XOOPS you have to translate all files in /language/yourlanguage <-for XOOPS core files
/install/yourlanguage <- for installation of XOOPS in yourlanguage
/modules/everymoduleusedonyoursite/language/yourlanguage <-for everymodule

Plus there might be a need to translate some files for calendar.

Gediminas

gtop00
  • 2005/11/23 19:09

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

All you have to do is to translate all files inside every "language" directory' in system and modules.
I would also suggest to translate only the user interface, meaning not to translate the "admin.php" and "blocks.php" files since they are not seen by the user and are easier to understand as admin (in English for me). From the "modinfo.php" file you need only to translate the lines usually under the line "// Text for notifications" (or something like this).

Do not also forget all .tpl files inside the "mail_template" directory.

Hope it helps!

Excuse me if I forgot something! Perhaps someone more experienced would add something.

gediminasbyt

gtop

What's the reason of translating some files and leave untranslated other files? sure if you speak english, but what about users who do not speak english and would prefer everything to be in that language?

Gediminas

gtop00
  • 2005/11/24 0:33

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

If somebody prefers to translate everything, it is up to him.
Regarding my (our in XoopsGreece) decision to translate only the user interface, the reasons are:
1. the time,
2. the used terms. There are some terms that cannot be expressed exactly in Greek. Since the admin interface is sensitive, we decided (for the time being) to leave it in English.

You can see the results here! They must be all Greek to you!!! (the site is on the air for less than a month, 1000 posts already!)

gediminasbyt

gtop00

I meant to translate and share files with others not just translate for yourself. Yes, if you do need to translate only for user needs that's enough.

Gediminas

gtop00
  • 2005/11/24 1:15

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

Hi again gediminasbyt,

All translations we have made into Greek are available for download (free) at xoopsgreece.gr as well as at dev.xoops.

The only difference is that we have only translated the user interface (for the time being as I said)!

raygauci
  • 2005/11/24 14:55

• raygauci

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/16

Thank you all of you for guiding me in the right direction. I have decided to do the system and module language files first. Its a bit of work as Maltese is not easy to translate, its a bit llike Italian with a mixture of Arabic........Anyway would be nice to have another language in the ever growing XOOPS international languages

Thank you all again for great support and help!

gtop00
  • 2006/1/10 17:49

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

Dear All,

Please check the module "Language Tool". It is what is needed for translations.

Login

Who's Online

215 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 215

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits