noelmaster
Xoops is not for Windows Platform?
  • 2005/11/21 18:07

• noelmaster

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/28

is this true that you cannot install the XOOPS on a Windows Platform? i cannot change the permission of the file like main.php as writeable. Any solution? Your kind dedication for this problem is highly appreciate. Thanks!

JMorris
Re: Xoops is not for Windows Platform?
  • 2005/11/21 18:24

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

XOOPS will work just fine on Windows. What you have to do is use the equivalent permissions in Windows.

Example:
========
chmod 755 (in *NIX)

is equivalent to

Full Control For Owner
Read & Execute + List Folder Contents + Read for Everyone (in Windows)

You can access the folder permissions by right clicking on the folder (or file) and selecting Properties >> Security Tab

Hope this helps.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Anonymous
  • 2005/11/21 18:29

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi,

You cam install XOOPS on windows, there are no problem, i'm using XOOPS as intranet system installed on windows server.

Just check user permission fro policy groups, may be your user account don't have full control.

noelmaster
  • 2005/11/21 18:32

• noelmaster

• Just popping in

JMorris,
Thanks for this reply but this does'nt work. on my local computer i have windows xp and whenever i right click it does'nt give me the property to chmod the file....then if i go to my hosting space....ftp://ftp.hostname.com (inside the server...as this is a windows platform...) it does'nt give me the right to chmod the files...i download all the ftp software but it does'nt work...explain this more please..thanks

noelmaster
  • 2005/11/21 18:38

• noelmaster

• Just popping in

Mowaffak,
Thanks also to you but the problem is that you cannot change your file permission on a windows platform...it will not change! i tried many times and also i used different ftp software, i used also the Dreamweaver MX to change the authority permission to chmod 777 or 666 ..what ever..but it don't change. The solution is to buy a hosting in Linux? oh noooo!

JMorris
  • 2005/11/21 18:40

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Windows doesn't have chmod. I was explaining what the equivalent Windows file system permissions are.

If you are using Windows XP home, you may need to start looking for a registry tweak that will enable the Security tab.

In Windows XP Pro (or 2000 & 2003), right-click on the file and/or folder, select Properties from the shortcut menu, then select the Security tab in the dialog box. In that dialog box, make sure the user "Everyone" is added. If it is not, add it. The permissions for the users should be....

Full Control For Owner (the name of the account you are logged in as)
Read & Execute + List Folder Contents + Read for the "Everyone" user.

Hope this is a little more clear.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

noelmaster
  • 2005/11/21 18:44

• noelmaster

• Just popping in

Did the programmers of XOOPS did not anticipated or did they not encounter this problem? can they not write a script that the files are all to be set in writeable and executable automatically...with this problem i've lost 2 days installing XOOPS desperately. the hosting company where i bought my hosting is not replying...one programmer told me that i cannot install XOOPS on a windows platform...WHAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!LOST MONEY LOST TIME...XOOPSSSSSSSSS!!!

JMorris
  • 2005/11/21 18:51

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

First of all, please calm down. XOOPS will run on Windows just fine; however, you have to know enough about your computer in order to set it up.

Resized Image

I'm sorry, but if you don't know how to do something as simple as setting file system permissions on a Windows computer, you really shouldn't try to run a web server. Unless you know know how to configure a system beyond defaults, your server won't be safe and you'll be asking for trouble.

Nevertheless, if you are going to go on anyways, may I suggest that you do a Google serarch for WAMP and "Windows File System Permissions". The results will teach you a lot about how to configure a web server on a Windows computer.

I wish you the best of luck on this.

Best Regards,

James

noelmaster
  • 2005/11/21 18:56

• noelmaster

• Just popping in

jmorris,
i don't know how to pay your kindness, anyway i will try now and research as the figure you sent me is i think "windows 2000 or 2003 server...i dont have that kind of settings as i have windows xp...thank you and will let you know...bye

JMorris
  • 2005/11/21 19:02

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

I'm using Windows XP Professional. Windows XP Home doesn't have the security tab by default.

The following Google search should help you on your way.

Link: Google Search Results

Hope this helps.

James

Login

Who's Online

123 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 123

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits