Goober
News 1.4 Vets
  • 2005/11/4 4:44

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/30

Hey!

I recently grabbed the News 1.4 and loaded it on my test box to get familar with it and to eventually move over to the main site. I like the titles as well as being able to add Meta's per article. That was a GREAT IDEA putting that in, Props!

I loaded the module and did the upgrade instructions - worked fine.

Problem is - blocks. I have modified the blocks heavily and expected some problems getting them back to the way "I" want them to display, but not what I'm running into.

When I opened up the "recent news" block's - wow. lots of stuff/options. Good stuff, but I don't need it or want it. And, for some reason, no matter what I do to the dang template it's still wants to do what it wants.

Is there a way I can add the old recent news block back into the mix? (assuming starting with the version.php) or maybe add a dummy file to make my own template/block?

Frustrated - but not beat.

Thanks!
Dispelling the Mystical belief of Web Standards and tableless CSS.
Nobody gets excited about the tools used to build a house, people get excited about how the house looks and performs

Goober
Re: News 1.4 Vets
  • 2005/11/4 10:08

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

Another Q. Can i take the 800+ lines of style instructions for this BLOCK out of TEMPLATE and put it in the style.css? Is all of 2.2.3 like this?

/me hugs 2.0.13.2
Nobody gets excited about the tools used to build a house, people get excited about how the house looks and performs

Mithrandir

Quote:
Is all of 2.2.3 like this?

Not following you. News 1.4 hasn't really much to do with 2.2.3 specifically and no, all of XOOPS 2.2.3 is not with 800+ CSS lines inside the templates.

On the contrary, XOOPS 2.2.3 allows blocks and modules to add CSS stylesheet files to the page instead of manipulating with template variables like $xoops_module_header or including CSS directly in the templates.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

Goober
  • 2005/11/4 10:44

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Quote:
Is all of 2.2.3 like this?

Not following you. News 1.4 hasn't really much to do with 2.2.3 specifically and no, all of XOOPS 2.2.3 is not with 800+ CSS lines inside the templates.

On the contrary, XOOPS 2.2.3 allows blocks and modules to add CSS stylesheet files to the page instead of manipulating with template variables like $xoops_module_header or including CSS directly in the templates.

Excuse my ignorance regarding 2.2+. I havent touched it as I was waiting for things to cool down as well as waiting for it to stretch it's legs a bit.

That's welcomed news. I was shaking my head saying they can't be doing this.

By all means, there was no offense meant towards 1.4 - it has some great features, I just think someone needed to pull the reins back at a point.

I guess the easiest method is i'll just make a quick blocks module instead of slicing this up, pull all the unnecessary stuff out of news_top.php ... and so on.

Login

Who's Online

511 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 511

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits