lovelacm
News 1.42 & Read Permissions
  • 2005/11/3 21:11

• lovelacm

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/2

Greetings, folks.

Usin' XOOPS 2.2.3 and News 1.42

I've got the permissions set to READ for Everybody (Anonymous, Registered Users, and Webmasters/Admins).

If I log in as a non-admin user and try to read any of the news (read more link) or any of the links listed in the spotlight block, it just doesn't work.. redirects to a "you don't have permission" page.

No "News" listing in the Main Menu for a regular user either.

Thoughts?

lovelacm
Re: News 1.42 & Read Permissions
  • 2005/11/3 21:21

• lovelacm

• Just popping in

Answered my own question:

The group permissions are tricky in the fact that it's not easy to see/know what you've granted permissions to w/o digging for it.

Sorry for the bother.

Cheers!

Twonames
  • 2005/11/3 22:53

• Twonames

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

Good that you've fixed your own problem.

Can I ask that you publish in as much detail as you can what you did to solve it?

As you say, permissions are tricky and others are having trouble. There are a few threads around.

I had a problem and I was asking questins and somehow, stumbled into the solution for myself. My problem is that I fiddled with so many settings that I do not know how I fixed my issues.

I have re-produced my original problem in a 'throwaway' web site but have not yet managed to re-produce my fix.

What you found may give me, and others, a clue

lovelacm
  • 2005/11/3 23:15

• lovelacm

• Just popping in

You bet - I was extremely frustrated earlier when I could get the blasted module to display!

Here's the ultimate fix for me:
- Check the Administration -> Users -> Groups section to be sure each group has the permissions you think they do (or should).
- Step through each of the Admin -> Modules -> Permissions (you'll have to dig to get here) to be sure that view (or whatever permissions you're looking for) are set correctly for each group.

My main complaint is with the News module - As I add topics, the basic permissions are not carried forth with the new topic.. and I have to go back and check the module for view/submit/approve for each of the groups... overall not a HUGE deal, but a bit painful.

I hope this helps and clears up some problems. Feel free to drop me a note and we'll muddle through this together if I'm around.

Cheers!

Login

Who's Online

256 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 256

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits