dc0-1
multiple sites in a single DB
  • 2005/10/6 20:15

• dc0-1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/25

Afternoon,
I recently setup a 2nd XOOPS site on my providers site and DB. The DB and web server are seperate so i understand there will be some performance differences than if the website and MySQL server resided on the same box.

With the above being said, since i added the 2nd site my load times have went through the roof, we are talking 45+ seconds to load just the top page of the site. Ive went through and turned caching on in several modules and blocks and its helped a little bit.

Is there presently an issue with having two sites share the same database? I am using seperate prefixes btw for my tables ;) Im open to any suggestions before i hit up my hosting provider.

Grizzlydk
Re: multiple sites in a single DB
  • 2005/10/6 20:35

• Grizzlydk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/24

Hi dc0-1

The bigger your db get's the more cpu time is needed.

In general it's a very good idea to keep the db small, and if possible decentralize with several db's.

Is there any reason why you don't run two seperat db's ?

Grizzly
Danish is viery iasy to spoke

dc0-1
  • 2005/10/6 20:41

• dc0-1

• Just popping in

Grizzlydk

The reason why i did that was because i am limited to three databases on my account through my provider.

So your statement is that the more tables i have, the higher the load?

My provider (netsolutions) is rather large thats why im figuring its my screw up. :)

Thank you for the quick reply.

Grizzlydk
  • 2005/10/6 20:45

• Grizzlydk

• Just popping in

Hi dc0-1

Yes... I think it is your db size that brings the MySQL server to it's knees.......

dc0-1
  • 2005/10/6 20:55

• dc0-1

• Just popping in

Thanks my friend,

DB stats- 152 tables, 2351 records, size 1.2mb, overhead 12.2kb.

My sites are still in development. the only thing that puzzels me is that Xoops.org has to have larger record count and overall size. Possibly fewer tables.. :)

I will play with moving the site to its own DB and see how the performance goes. Im using PHPMyAdmin for the SQL work.

dc0-1
  • 2005/10/6 21:07

• dc0-1

• Just popping in

srry double post.

Grizzlydk
  • 2005/10/6 22:44

• Grizzlydk

• Just popping in

Hi dc0-1

Yes i agree it's looks a bit funny...my own db is 1Mb and runs just fine.....On my own server....

The only logical thing is either is the db messed up because of the two "site db's" in one db or your ISP's db server is not delivering enough power, say it runs 200 db's for other customers and are not really thought of as a DB server with a constant heavy load...

I would contact my ISP and get them to answer som questions about the db server and hov much load you can put on it....

Hope you get it sorted

Grizzly

dc0-1
  • 2005/10/7 2:13

• dc0-1

• Just popping in

Well im waiting to hear back from my provider, in the mean time ive turned MySQL debug on (found out about it in another thread about performance) It appears that the sql times are fine... hrmph

Execution Time
XOOPS took 1.4419560432434 seconds to load.

Ok 1.4 secs to load, no problem there, least not to me. Hmm.. I guess im going need to start a new thread now that this one can only go away from its original subject. :)

Herko
  • 2005/10/7 7:40

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

XOOPS.org runs multiple sites from a single db, and our PM table alone is about 70-100MB big at any given time... But we're not on a shared server, but run our own dedicated server.

My guess is that the database server is having trouble with the load, and not per se caused by you alone. Try to get an idea of the number of queries generated (in the MySQL debug window), if that is high, you need to do more optimising, if it's reasonable (depending on what you're trying to load it can be 20 queries per page), you know it's the server itself that's the bottleneck.

Herko

dc0-1
  • 2005/10/9 19:02

• dc0-1

• Just popping in

Thank you everyone for helping.

I reduced the number of blocks on the front page which assistated in lowering load time. However what help'd most was i switched to a different theme? Im unsure if it was less bandwidth intensive or what. but once that happend i dropped several seconds.

I will admit though i changed several things all at once including the theme =p wasnt exactly my best scientific study.

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits