Mithrandir
XOOPS 2.2.3 RC2 Snapshot Release

We have been busy in the past couple of weeks.
After the disastrous release of XOOPS 2.2.3, we decided to go back to 2.2.2 and manually add fixes and changes one at a time.

It has been time-consuming, but here we are:
XOOPS 2.2.3 RC2 Snapshot.tar.gz
XOOPS 2.2.3 RC2 Snapshot.zip

THIS IS A TEST RELEASE MEANT FOR TESTING AND NOT FOR PRODUCTION SITES

What it is
A snapshot of the current CVS, based on 2.2.2 with many changes and fixes from 2.2.3 and some additional ones

How it should be tested
We have worked very hard on the references used throughout the code and would appreciate it, if you could test it on as many platforms as possible, especially:
- PHP 4.3.11 or lower (at least 4.2.0, though)
- PHP 4.4
- PHP 5.0.x and
- PHP 5.1

Preferably also on IIS as well as Apache.

Install from scratch and update from 2.2.x or 2.0.x following the upgrade instructions as per the last releases (2.2.x upgrade = update System Module, 2.0.x upgrade = run xoopsupdate.php and update modules individually)

XOOPS 2.2.3RC2 Snapshot requires a FULL URL set as XOOPS_URL - if you use a relative URL, modify your mainfile.php to be absolute (with http:// etc.) before testing

Also, have PHP debug and MySQL debug enabled throughout testing

What in particular should be tested
- User creation admin (ext. profile module)
- User deletion admin (ext. profile module)
- Adding user fields (ext. profile module)
- Removing user fields (ext. profile module)
- Searching for users by values of added fields (ext. profile module)
- Send PM (PM module)
- Receive PM (PM module)
- Register user (ext. profile module)
- Send activation email (ext. profile module)
- Activate user from activation email (ext. profile module)
- Delete user account frontside (ext. profile module)
- Add/Edit blocks individually (System -> blocks -> add/edit)
- Edit block visibility and positioning in mass (System -> blocks)
- Add user to group in user edit (ext. profile module)
- Remove user from group in user edit (ext. profile module)

When testing should be done
The sooner, the better.
On Friday, we will look at the feedback and re-determine the timeframe

Modules that should work in this version
Some modules that didn't work with 2.2.2- should work with XOOPS 2.2.3RC2 Snapshot:
- WF and -based modules such as WF-XXX, SmartXXX, PD-XXX should no longer have problems due to hidden fields overwriting select elements (add/edit categories, mainly)

Modules that won't work with this version
Modules that access users table directly, such as Newbb and CBB 1.x

GIJOE's blocksadmin plugin for 2.0.x does not work with 2.2.x

Modules that directly use core files that have moved or rely on core behaviour that has changed, such as piCal

How reporting should go
Please use the SF.net bug trackers for your bug reports. Use the "core/core" or "core/install-upgrade" category and the "Xoops 2.2.x" group.

What else?
THANK YOU - everyone that participates in this testing.

Oh - and if I see ANYONE complaining about this release not working completely as it should on a production platform... I'll be very disappointed.

"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

Marco
Re: XOOPS 2.2.3 RC2 Snapshot Release
  • 2005/9/20 20:23

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

Quote:

Oh - and if I see ANYONE complaining about this release not working completely as it should on a production platform... I'll be very disappointed.

heu, mith, I've already upgraded my site, i've just noticed your warning, how can I remove your ... !
[joke/off]

thanks, we will have a look into.
Besta testers, let's go !
(we will have better to share works, as 2.2.x is modifying a lot of XOOPS part, and basic ones as well)
marco

NB has core team made some tests, or is it first time testing ?
Do synergy or die.

Mithrandir

Skalpa and I have tested it overall and the user creation/deletion through the administration on PHP 4.3.9, PHP 5.0.2 and PHP 5.1.0b3 so we don't expect obvious errors like we experienced with 2.2.3RC1 - but we do need more in-depth testing on more platforms to be sure. E.g. we both use Apache and not IIS.

Perhaps the best step is to find out which platforms are available to the testing team and devise an overall test before dividing detail testing between you?

I would suggest something like this:
1) Install from scratch with Extended Profile module and PM Module
2) Add a new field and set it editable, visible on the profile and on the registration form
3) Add a user through the administration
4) Delete the user through the administration
5) Register a new user - activation by user
6) Activate the user through the activation email
7) Send PM from the user to the administrator
8) Reply to the PM by the administrator
9) Add the user to a new group through edit user screen
10) Remove the user from the group through edit user screen
11) Let the user delete his own account
12) Create some blocks
13) Set the blocks' visibility and position through the main blocks admin page and through edit block
14) Repeat steps 1-13 with an update from XOOPS 2.0.x
15) Repeat steps 1-13 with an update from XOOPS 2.2.x
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

Marco
  • 2005/9/20 20:57

• Marco

• Home away from home

i really like such a collaborative work !
let's go
marco

nb many thanks for hard work.(cf cvs)
Do synergy or die.

JMorris
  • 2005/9/20 22:03

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I'll begin testing later this evening. For now I have some work to get done for clients.

I'm still working with Ackbar to get everything squared away with the beta1.xoops.org domain. We had some weird IP issues. As soon as we get that resolved, I'll upload this latest RC for group testing/debugging.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

kaotik
  • 2005/9/20 22:40

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

From my initial testing I'm happy to report that this version is coming out great! small issues from previous versions have been resolved.
I have encountered a small thing (it's more a theme bug then core issue) that I have already reported to the bug tracker.
www.kaotik.biz

christian
  • 2005/9/20 22:41

• christian

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/2/24

I am very happy to see that our remarks was taken as you list the subject where we focus our tests.

(sorry if my english is bad)

Cheers

skalpa
  • 2005/9/21 1:16

• skalpa

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/16

Quote:
I am very happy to see that our remarks was taken as you list the subject where we focus our tests.

Well, I'm going to be disappointing then. One of the reason that made us ask your help here is that almost everything should be tested (and Jan and I couldn't possibly do this).

Apart from the 2.2.2 bugfixes, we tried to fix the new notices concerning references that appeared with PHP 4.4 and 5.1.0. The problem is that references are over (and wrongly) used throughout all the core (and specially in the XoopsObject / XoopsObjectHandler based classes). Thus, fixing this required modifications on almost every file in the kernel/ folder (which means: users, membership, module, config, comments...)
Also, it looks like the new behavior of the Zend engine can make some parts generate fatal errors (with a message saying "only variables can be passed by reference"), and those can't be fixed easily except by doing a complete audit of the core source files, or by report-and-fix.

So, even if I believe the changes should mostly be OK, the more things are tested, the better (and more specially using PHP 4.4 or 5.1).

Thanks to everybody

skalpa.>
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, and more complex. It takes a touch of genius, a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the 1st one (A.Einstein)

Marco
  • 2005/9/21 6:38

• Marco

• Home away from home

hello

and what about module packages ? Should we use original modules or packaged modules (modified by mith) ? I hope first ones...
marco
Do synergy or die.

Mithrandir

Using Newbb or CBB 1.x on XOOPS 2.2 is futile due to the direct access of core user table.

piCal submit form will not have a popup for date selection and some blocks will not work as intended, if I understand GIJOE correctly.

GIJOE's blocksadmin plugin for XOOPS 2.0.x will not work with 2.2.x so that part of modules using it will not work.

I suggest you use the author's own modules at first.

Cusix Software

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits