billyvision
My college website .. first xoops attempt

hi there,

http://www.ayubians.com/thesite

about Ayub Medical College Abbottabad Pakistan
my first website in XOOPS and i will like the experts here to review the site and give me suggestions regarding the design and any other modules/blocks i shud be using !

the site is not complete ! alot many links in the main menu (top) may not work... etc

but ur suggestions are welcome since i plan to make the site live in 2 weeks.

regards
dr. bilal

jaquita
Re: My college website .. first xoops attempt
  • 2005/9/7 21:27

• jaquita

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/4 1

Hi billyvision,

I'm not a XOOPS expert but I like looking at the different ways people present their data. I think you're going to have a very nice site very quickly. You have a lot of interesting things to look at without it being overwhelming. Especially some of those cute little animated icons.

Now some problems I noticed. This is from just a quick run through the site. Just so you'll know, I'm using Mozilla 1.7.11 under Gentoo Linux 2005.1.

One problem I experienced was when I first loaded the site everything was centered. I followed one of the links from the top menu and when I did the entire site was shifted to the left border and never got recentered afterwards. The width of the site remained fixed though. NOTE: I just reloaded the site from the original URL and it centered again. It looks like some links are using "http://www.ayubians.com/amc/" instead ofhttp://www.ayubians.com/thesite/".

You have a banner at the top of the center page area that sometimes says "Ayubians.com Greetings Service", other times other things. This banner area is cut off to about half way down it's height so I can only see the bottom half of anything it contains.

Is the top menu you're using one of the XOOPS modules? I'm just exploring XOOPS myself so I'm not familiar with everything it offers. It looks like it might be useful to me for another site I have in mind.

All in all, I think you're doing well.

jaquita

gestroud
  • 2005/9/7 21:59

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Looks really sharp. Good work on the theme. One point though. There is a lot of white space.

What would happen if you put "Welcome to Ayubians.com" & "Ayub Medical College" as 2 Center Columns and put "Ayubians.com NEWS" & "Offical College News" directly under them as Center Left & Center Right columns? Or will your theme allow that?

Also, there are two typos. Shouldn't "More Conent" be "More Content"? And "Relavent Links" be "Relevant Links"?

billyvision

hi again,

to jaquita:

Links as i mentioned in my early post may be broken ( top navigation) I will update them today.
http://www.ayubians.com/amc is the live site
http://www/ayubians.com/thesite is the XOOPS one which will be made alive once completed. I am sorry for wrong links directing to you /amc . this will be fixed later today.

Quote: In the top menu you're using one of the XOOPS modules? I'm just exploring XOOPS myself so I'm not familiar with everything it offers. It looks like it might be useful to me for another site I have in mind.

No its not a module. I am using Sothink DHTML Menu. www.sothink.com for the dynamic menu at the top. One of the problems that i had with the menu was that the menu width couldnt be contained when used with XOOPS themes. So i have placed an IFRAME at top of the theme with the banner and the navigation bar. works good for me.

To gestroud :

I know about the white spaces and i wil fill them up with some interesting stuff. again i m using IFRAME within a centre block for the content that u see on the main page. the url is:http://www.ayubians.com/webstudio/index.html
"Welcome to Ayubians.com" is the name of the block and " Ayubians.com NEWS" is the content in the page mentioned above so the two cant be alligned. so what i plan to do is drop the " title for block" and add the "Welcome to Ayubians.com" within the url mentioned above...

ok now something i wanted to know.
what do you think about the top banner?
what colors should i focus more on? for top navigation bar and banner. or other things !

take care and thanks for your review

gestroud
  • 2005/9/8 14:51

• gestroud

• Home away from home

The top banner looks GREAT the way it is now. The only thing that may need adjusting is the top menu. It looks a little off center. But that could be because I've been up all night working You must have been too. You changed Relavant to Relevent, but it's probably should be Relevant. I think we both need some sleep. Resized Image

gestroud
  • 2005/9/8 15:21

• gestroud

• Home away from home

One thought.

I still think the banner looks great, and the color choice is excellent. But, I was wondering how it would look if you removed the small banner that says, "Abbottabad, Pakistan," and add the words inside the larger banner right under "Ayub Medical College."

Ayub Medical College
Abbottabad, Pakistan

Or possibly widen the "Ayub Medical College" banner and place "Abbottabad, Pakistan" next to it.

Ayub Medical College Abbottabad, Pakistan

The frustrating part about that is that you'll probably have to play with different font sizes to make it work just right. That can take forever sometimes.

billyvision

thnx for correcting the typos!
i have centralized the menu ?? i hope its good now. I tried to look for the project file of the banner i have lost it... which means i will have to redesign the whole banner. Is it " abbottabad, pakistan" too distracting?

gestroud
  • 2005/9/8 18:50

• gestroud

• Home away from home

I kind of think that the dark border around "abbottabad, pakistan" that's a little, teeny bit distracting. But I'd say that keeping the location of the college on the banner is a good idea. You could probably erase the border with an image editor, if you wanted. All in all, I still say it's a fantastic-looking site.

mattfox
  • 2005/9/8 19:48

• mattfox

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/4 1

Is there any way I can attach a file with my post? I've been playing with the logo and would like billyvision to be able to see it...

Many thanks!

billyvision

thanks mattfox. please email me !

bilalalam1 (at) yahoo.com

Login

Who's Online

249 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 249

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits