alitan
XTDT (Xoops Theme Design Team) is asking designers to join!
  • 2005/9/7 2:10

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

Hi,
I've been thinking if we could make a Theme design team, while we could make different beautiful layouts for this program, we could also promote it.
I've been looking around today and saw many posts in other CMSes' forums regarding how it is difficult to make new themes for XOOPS and how most of Xoops'themes aren't good. But I don't believe in this, I think if we, the designers gather up and put our best efforts and try to make up a perfect team, these arguments about XOOPS would not be true.We can also help the XOOPS core team by sugesting them about the better ways XOOPS can operate and handle layouts. this also makes XOOPS a better content management system.
Anyway, If anyone wants to join, please don't hesitate to write here and please share your ideas.
Alitan{{<<>>}},
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

JMorris
Re: XTDT (Xoops Theme Design Team) is asking designers to join!
  • 2005/9/7 3:12

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

XOOPS themes difficult to code?!
XOOPS themes not good?!

I believe what you say because I've seen it before myself, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out why someone would say such a thing. If you really stop and look at the architecture of a XOOPS theme, it's nothing more than a one page static layout with a little bit of Smarty code in it. Heck, most of the Smarty code is in the META tags and header! The *hardest* part about a XOOPS theme is the CSS. And quite frankly, a LOT of the CSS can be reused, much like the basic HTML layout. But I digress...

alitan,

I really think this is an excellent idea! I wish I had more time available so I could join the team. Most of my themes have been traditional layouts, and certainly not my best work, but there's something about this situation that really makes me want to show ignorant people exactly how flexible a XOOPS theme is! The ONLY thing that stops me from releasing a lot of the ideas I come up with is that the average end user might throw a fit trying to figure out why "x" block is in "y" position instead of "x" position.

Anyways, there are a ton of great designers here at XOOPS, as I'm sure you know, and I really hope some of them step up and show the world how awesome a XOOPS site can look.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

otr222
  • 2005/9/7 4:03

• otr222

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/5/13

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
The ONLY thing that stops me from releasing a lot of the ideas I come up with is that the average end user might throw a fit trying to figure out why "x" block is in "y" position instead of "x" position.

James

I know what your saying James. I've played around moving left column to right side next to the right column or into the center and etc... with the other blocks. You can really come up with some interesting layouts, however trying to explain their locations to someone wouldn't be the easiest thing to do. :)

alitan
  • 2005/9/7 19:38

• alitan

• Quite a regular

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
XOOPS themes difficult to code?!
XOOPS themes not good?!

I believe what you say because I've seen it before myself, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out why someone would say such a thing. If you really stop and look at the architecture of a XOOPS theme, it's nothing more than a one page static layout with a little bit of Smarty code in it. Heck, most of the Smarty code is in the META tags and header! The *hardest* part about a XOOPS theme is the CSS. And quite frankly, a LOT of the CSS can be reused, much like the basic HTML layout. But I digress...

alitan,

I really think this is an excellent idea! I wish I had more time available so I could join the team. Most of my themes have been traditional layouts, and certainly not my best work, but there's something about this situation that really makes me want to show ignorant people exactly how flexible a XOOPS theme is! The ONLY thing that stops me from releasing a lot of the ideas I come up with is that the average end user might throw a fit trying to figure out why "x" block is in "y" position instead of "x" position.

Anyways, there are a ton of great designers here at XOOPS, as I'm sure you know, and I really hope some of them step up and show the world how awesome a XOOPS site can look.

Best Regards,

James

I tootally agree with james, XOOPS themes aren't much difficult to code. The best thing we can do to show these people that their thoughts are false,is to create a theme design team and creat tons of new themes. We should also apply W3C standards to them to make XOOPS more compatible with browsers.
So please, Everybody who wants to join, post here NOW!

alitan
  • 2005/9/15 18:07

• alitan

• Quite a regular

NO one wants to join?

davidl2
  • 2005/9/15 18:23

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

If I had the time and talent - i'd certainly offer ... but i'm afraid I dont.

Good luck with this however... and I'll mention this for inclusion in the next and delayed WOX as well...!

Jharis
  • 2005/9/15 22:00

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

I'm afraid I would do more harm than good! Maybe this spring I'll will be able to help.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

DevlshOne
  • 2005/9/15 23:07

• DevlshOne

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/15

I'd be happy to contribute to the TDT. I've definitely become a big XOOPS fan since changing a few of my sites over from 'nuke. If you'd like to take a look at some of my work, email me and we'll talk about what I can do to help support XOOPS.
[size=x-small]Dawn of War Planet
RTS Planet
[/size]

WarDick
  • 2005/9/16 0:26

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

@ DevlshOne
I took a look at the themes you posted in another thread about gaming. I really like the drop down menus you are using. How did you do them?

@ alitan
I would be interested in working with you on theme projects.
Urging XOOPS to be the Best It Can Be.
Richard......

alitan
  • 2005/9/16 11:21

• alitan

• Quite a regular

@WarDick & DevlshOne: I really apperciate if you help in this project. If you do not mind ,lets start now!
@ Jharis:
I hope you can put this activity on your schadual in the spring.
@davidl2:
Thanks alot! I really apperciat it if you can post it on WOX.

P.S--> Although I didn't creat those gaming themes Wardick talked about, but I may be able to help. The drop down menus are created by a javascript code, so that if you place it on the theme.html it will work.

Login

Who's Online

263 user(s) are online (177 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 263

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits