bumbum
2.0.13 to 2.2 upgrade a mess
  • 2005/8/16 13:38

• bumbum

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/18

Like most people here, I upgraded to 2.2 as soon as I could. Problem is that after 4 seperate attempts and reverting back to my backed up 2.0.13 I'm still no closer to getting this upgrade to work.
All my blocks keep on vanishing and I'm seeing reports of this & module issues popping up again and again. As much as I don't like to say it (because my experience of XOOPS is that it's great) the 2.2 version is a total mess.
Has anyone got any idea when a truely stable version will be released with ALL of the required upgrade instructions available?
What do I mean by 'ALL required upgrade instructions'? - Well, looking through the forums here for a solution to my 'blocks' issue, it seems that further work is required on the blocks permissions etc. on many sites AFTER the upgrade.

Mithrandir
Re: 2.0.13 to 2.2 upgrade a mess

If having to reapply a couple of permissions on some blocks is your definition of "total mess", I'd hate to think what you would think of the beta versions, we had.

Some reconfiguration should be expected after such a change as XOOPS 2.2 is.

I'm sorry if it fails to live up to your expectations.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

bumbum
  • 2005/8/16 14:38

• bumbum

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/18

lol - no that's not what I mean..
What I mean is that it's not an isolated instance. There are lots of reports of problems upgrading. Issues such as blocks and modules missing are very serious issues. I have no problem with re-setting block permissions on my site and some reconfiguration in order to have an upgraded core with added functionality and security so let me rephrase:
The upgrade is working fine for some and not for others.
Solutions to problematic upgrades seem to work for some and not for others.
I'm not alone in reverting to the backed up version of my site and I'm sure others who have done the same still want to attempt the upgrade again and again (myself included).
As far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong) there's no reference to these possible issues in the upgrade documentation.

It's not a single issue that is causing a problem here - it seems to be several, and there are different solutions to fix each of these problems. Attempting some of these fixes is a bit 'hit & hope' and I think that this makes it very 'MESSY'.
I would have thought that this would still be a beta version if it seems to be this erratic.

taherk
  • 2005/8/22 18:18

• taherk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/28

I havent been able to get 2.2 or 2.2.2 working on my site either. I did fresh installation, cant get the login box. The documentation doesnt mention, that you have to run xoopsupdate.php after installation.

IMHO, 2.0.13 works great and 2.2 is indeed a mess, have already spent many hours figuring out and posting here without luck.

psindia
  • 2005/8/22 18:37

• psindia

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/3/31

the XOOPS 2.2 works perfect ...

my worry is the i sno upgrade patch for 2.2.1
Please don't visit ==>tenthstone.com!
==>vinodsr.com!

jdseymour

Quote:
I did fresh installation, cant get the login box. The documentation doesnt mention, that you have to run xoopsupdate.php after installation.

With a fresh install, you don't. If you did then that is what could have messed up your installation. xoopsupdate.php is for just what it says, updating 2.0.13 to 2.2x. Not sure if it is still a problem, but some have run the script twice. Big No No. Causes tables to duplicate and other problems that are pretty complicated to fix. So when this happens it is best to restore your backup and start over until you have accomplished the upgrade properly.

I had 3 but am now down to 2 test sites, including a clone of my production site, running XOOPS 2.2.2 without problems. Only a couple of module problems are preventing me from upgrading as yet. As soon as the modules are updated I will, with a fresh backup of course, upgrade my production site to the latest xoops.

jjcmoney
  • 2005/8/23 3:05

• jjcmoney

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/5/10

I built a new site using XOOPS 2.2 when it was first released and had only 1 minor issue which didn't affect any of my visitors and was resolved fairly quickly. Seems to be stable from my experience. I picked modules that I researched to make sure they worked with 2.2.

That being said, if I was to upgrade my other sites using 2.0, I would stay within 2.0 (2.0.13.1, etc..), and not upgrade to 2.2 unless there is was a security issue or a functional problem that required 2.2, due to the fact that not all of the modules I'm using are compatible with 2.2 yet.

JC
JC

taherk
  • 2005/8/24 16:54

• taherk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/28

I went through all the responses and tried to evaluate my situation. The issue was with my FTP client. I cannot believe it. Looks like the files were not transfering as you would expect.

I used Bulletproof FTP and reinstalled and it works now.

I apologize for any confusion. Thank you all for your help and support, it feels nice to be in a community where people are helpful

-taher

Login

Who's Online

170 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 170

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits