jcmoriaud
Extended profiles?
  • 2005/8/16 13:34

• jcmoriaud

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/12

Hello, can somebody explain the way to work with Extended profiles. It looks redundant with the "user's menu" which on the other end lacks now the ability to change the password. I'm a bit confused. Thanks in advance, cheers,

gestroud
Re: Extended profiles?
  • 2005/8/16 13:42

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

The only way I can see this module as being useful is for using with themes that suppress the User Menu - there are about 3 or 4 of them. Otherwise, it does seem pretty superfluous. Same for the Private Messaging module.

jcmoriaud
  • 2005/8/16 13:45

• jcmoriaud

• Just popping in

Thanks, it's what I thought. But then, with 2.2, I can't figure out how a simple user can change his pasword other than with "Extended profiles"?
Cheers, JCMoriaud

Mithrandir

Quote:
It looks redundant with the "user's menu"

Can you be a little more explicit about what is redundant?
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

jcmoriaud
  • 2005/8/16 14:09

• jcmoriaud

• Just popping in

Actually, it's got a "View user's profile" and an "Edit user's profile" as in the "User's menu" which are redundant. But it's got a "Change password" that the "User's menu" doesn't have anymore. The "User's menu" has a "Disconnect" item that's missing on the other end if we remove it!

But hey, after doing some tests, I realised that my users could not edit their profiles if I don't give them access to the "Extended profiles" module. I didn't want that additional entry in the main menu that's redundant with the user's menu!

I am afraid that I am missind something. Or is the "User's menu" the "old" way to do it? Now with 2.* should we only use the "Extended profile"?

Sorry, I'm confused so are my questions/explanations...

Cheers, JCMoriaud

gestroud
  • 2005/8/17 4:45

• gestroud

• Home away from home

It also seems to be either lacking a way to change notification options, or it's become a lot harder to access.

Mithrandir

Notification options are now dynamic user fields that have to be configured in the Extended Profile module's administration.

The User menu can be thought of as the "old way", yes, but mainly the problems stem from the fact that it is hard-coded and part of the System module. We will work on a way to make it dynamic - or replace it with a whole new and better method.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

jcmoriaud
  • 2005/8/17 8:12

• jcmoriaud

• Just popping in

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Notification options are now dynamic user fields that have to be configured in the Extended Profile module's administration.

The User menu can be thought of as the "old way", yes, but mainly the problems stem from the fact that it is hard-coded and part of the System module. We will work on a way to make it dynamic - or replace it with a whole new and better method.

Good news!

I have finally hidden the "User menu", cloned my templates and modified the "Main menu" to add a "Disconnect now" item, and made avalaible the "Extended profiles" for all users.

But I still have the problem that for anonymous users, getting a "Disconnect now" menu item is pretty ridiculous. How do people solve this? By creating a cloned menu available only to anonymous users?

And by the way, in case of future upgrades, do I have each time to clone the templates and modify the mail menu template?

Thanks for your time! Cheers

gestroud
  • 2005/8/17 15:52

• gestroud

• Home away from home

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
We will work on a way to make it dynamic - or replace it with a whole new and better method.

That's what makes XOOPS the great program & community that it is; you're always looking for ways to make things better.

Login

Who's Online

229 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 229

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits