tedsmith
Liaise Module : "Could not instantiate mail()"
  • 2005/8/8 15:34

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I am getting "Could not instantiate mail()" when I try to send a mail using forms created in Liase 1.24 and XOOPS 2.0.13.

I tried the workaround suggested elsewhere (I forget the URL but the subject was 'Big mail problem' or something) but all I got was a blank page, so I had to re-upload the php file from a fresh download of XOOPS 2.0.13.

I have also read the post at Brandycoke.com where they say to check that the name fields ({UNAME} etc) are populated etc. They are, so it isn't that that's causing my problem either.

The wierd thing is that I have two sites hosted by the same company and presumebly on the same server. I have XOOPS 2.0.13 on both of them (one an upgrade from earlier versions and one a fresh install). Using the basic XOOPS 'Contact Us' module as a test I noticed one site works (the upgraded one) and the other doesn't (the fresh installed one). So I can't work it out.

I HAVE GOT to get this working!! I'm creating a new site for a 'client' and trying to create a snazzy contacts page. If this doesn't work I'm stuffed! I've tried sendmail and SMTP and they don't work either.

Can anyone help? I don't want to have to upgrade to 2.2 yet due to all the problems I've read about.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Ted

tedsmith
Re: Liaise Module : "Could not instantiate mail()"
  • 2005/8/8 18:02

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Bender
  • 2005/8/8 19:04

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:
tedsmith wrote:
[...]
The wierd thing is that I have two sites hosted by the same company and presumebly on the same server.
[...]
Thanks
Ted

Can you verify if thats really true?

Also you might want to check phpinfo() if the mailpath for both sites is identical and existent.

Other possible things to try:
- quickinstall of a fresh (old) XOOPS version to see if it still works with that one
- install another script that uses phpmail and test with it
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

tedsmith
  • 2005/8/8 19:53

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Thanks so much for replying Bender - I was beginning to lose all hope!!

OK, phpinfo() reveals the following :

The site that does NOT work :

Host Linux [b]arion[/b].hosts.co.uk 

sendmail_from    
[b]me@localhost.com    me@localhost.com[/b]
sendmail_path    /usr/sbin/sendmail --i     /usr/sbin/sendmail --i

The site that DOES work :

Linux [b]artemis[/b].hosts.co.uk

sendmail_from    
[b]no value    no value[/b]
sendmail_path    /usr/sbin/sendmail --i     /usr/sbin/sendmail --i

So, different hosts..yes? And should the bold areas make a difference for the sendmail_from value?

Thanks Bender (and others?)

tedsmith
  • 2005/8/9 17:03

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

CRACKCED IT!!!!!!!!!

I sent a mail to my host last night detailing the different values, and they have moved my site to a different host and cleared the values for the send_mail path. I went back to my System Preferences and reverted the mail settings to use PHP Mail, and bingo! Mails sent, no error, and the e-mail plopped in my Inbox a few seconds later!!

Thanks a lot Bender - i would probably never have got this sorted if it wasn't for my blazing evidence for which you tipped me to find (I find that web hosts often try to blame the scripts with regard to technical errors rather than actually looking at their configs)

Thanks a million

Ted

Login

Who's Online

453 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 453

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits