saster
Module suggestions for book review site?
  • 2005/8/5 10:16

• saster

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/31

I'm looking for module suggestions for a comic book review site. I want to be able to do this:

- each reviewed book title should have its own page with the following info on it: book cover and general information, info on category/theme/etc, a few inside sample scans, front covers of following issues, reviews by visitors, visitor rating, amazon links, link to the book review if available in another language on the site.

- users should be able to create and edit documents that then would be approved by admins

- ability to set preferred language of books (i.e. see only english or german or french books.)

- ability to find books by category, theme or publisher, etc.

- link from the frontpage to a random title and the most recent added ones would be nice, but not a must.

Can this be done? I can figure out what modules I need for creating reviews with comments, and doing rating, and uploading pictures. But would it be possible to combine all these features on one simple and editable page?

mboyden
Re: Module suggestions for book review site?
  • 2005/8/5 15:14

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

I did a search for a reviews module recently and found these:

* C-JAY Reviews Beta 1 - Based on the old myReviews module, originally a port from phpNuke. Abandoned by the author according to his forums.
* Lykos Reviews 1.00 - Was fairly simple module with not enough for my needs. Listed as Beta at the author's site
* My Reviews 2.1 RC1 - Based on the C-Jay Reviews module above (based on others).

Best I can tell, all of these have been abandoned. I tested them all on 2.0.10 and found no issues. I ended up with using myReviews 2.1 RC1 because it had the most features. C-Jay was a step back. And Lycos Reviews 1(Beta) is simple.

It's quite likely that this module, originally built for book reviews will meet your needs. I think it has all your requirements. The site I'm using it for now is for reviews of businesses.

However, if you need to make changes to the layout and other aspects, you'll have to hit the code. The problem with myReviews is that it doesn't use templates and is missing some other XOOPS conventions.

I tried to contact the author to see if they were working on a new release and if I could contribute to it. I can't figure out how to contact the author. I left a PM for the submitter m0nty, but no response as yet. Probably left it about a month ago. And the website doesn't work.

Thus, I'm actually working on upgrading this and re-releasing it using templates, permissioning and the likes. This will be my first public release module as the others I've built were for-hire projects. Not yet sure when I'll release it .
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

gestroud
  • 2005/9/13 4:21

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

You're right; myReviews is the best module going for that purpose. How are you making out with the updates, or is it a lost cause?

mboyden
  • 2005/9/15 15:42

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

I've had to put the update on hold due to some other work that is more pressing, but once I'm done on that, I'll get back to this because there are some upgrade/updates we need on this module.

It's not a lost cause. Overall it works well, but it really needs the presentation layer separated from the code. That's one of the major advantages of XOOPS over the others like phpNuke and postNuke where this code originally came from. I maybe ought to go and see if any updates have happened to that code on those forks before I finalize and publish anything on this.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

gestroud
  • 2005/9/16 5:10

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Thanks for the reply. It is a pretty good module - couple of bugs - but still darned good. Best wishes on your other projects.

Login

Who's Online

65 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 65

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits